Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Us 1857 SC #26 - Extra Line At Left Of Stamp

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2094 Posts
Posted 03/09/2018   5:40 pm  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a Type IV with right inner line recut - position 24L10E. I sold it on eBay about 4 years ago and have missed it ever since!

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
338 Posts
Posted 03/09/2018   5:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 3193zd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice! Sharp detail. Are there recut lines in the upper left triangle?
Michael Darabaris
Pillar Of The Community
United States
506 Posts
Posted 03/09/2018   6:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Are these considered extra lines copies:

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2094 Posts
Posted 03/09/2018   8:08 pm  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Caper, Yes, those are a couple from the famous "three rows" of Plate 3.

3193, No recutting in the triangle on that stamp.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
34 Posts
Posted 11/08/2019   2:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mestephil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is one I have with a faint inner line on the lower left side. I have classified as a #26, Type III, but now noticed that inner line.

It may be in other places along the side, but I need to get home to scan in a higher resolution to be sure. What is it? A recut of some sort?

Thanks,

Ken
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
559 Posts
Posted 11/08/2019   7:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Laurie 02 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So having a look at my #11,#11a's I came across this?
3 vertical lines on left?
I'm a novice at this so please bear with me!

And a bit closer...
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1743 Posts
Posted 11/08/2019   7:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is an 11A from the 3-rows of plate 3. See a mention of it above in this thread.
It's some excessive and interesting recutting to say the least.
Quite collectable, but also common, so not much, if any significant premium for it.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
559 Posts
Posted 11/08/2019   7:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Laurie 02 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks TXStamp, it's not about the value really it's about the stamp and it's beauty, and variations on the beauty!
Cheers
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
559 Posts
Posted 11/08/2019   8:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Laurie 02 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And I also found this? I thought it was double transfer at bottom, could it be a re cut?

And close up...
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2094 Posts
Posted 11/08/2019   8:10 pm  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ken, That is not an inner line but you are right about the stamp being a Type III, Scott #26. The stamp is from the bottom row of the plate and that little short piece of line is very common in the lower left corner of bottom row 26's. We call it a "relief line" and it actually comes directly from the transfer roll. These faint relief lines show why it was necessary to manually strengthen the frame lines after the plates were made. Here is a bottom row pair from Plate 9 that shows a relief line on the right stamp.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2094 Posts
Posted 11/08/2019   8:12 pm  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Laurie 02, its a double transfer... very common on Plate 5L stamps.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
559 Posts
Posted 11/08/2019   8:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Laurie 02 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And where can a man go to learn how to plate his #10's and #11's?
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
559 Posts
Posted 11/08/2019   8:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Laurie 02 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Sinclair
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
34 Posts
Posted 11/08/2019   8:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mestephil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Winston - thanks for the explanation. Now that you said it, I think I may have come across a discussion somewhere in the past day regarding the relief lines and the issues surrounding. I just did not correctly connect the context. (I have been reading a lot on the issues - a lot to absorb....)

Thanks much,

Ken
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2094 Posts
Posted 11/08/2019   8:22 pm  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
http://stampplating.com/complete-plating

Edit: This is the site for plating 10's and 11's. Other good information too.
Edited by sinclair2010 - 11/08/2019 8:24 pm
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05