Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Using Albumeasy3.7 And Notepad++ Getting Started

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 2,432Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
South Africa
229 Posts
Posted 05/07/2018   3:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Perfin_RK to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I see there are many people using and trying to use AlbumEasy, I wanted to write a post to help to get you started, I have just setup my environment for AlbumEasy. I'll start with getting the software to do it. It is a bit of a learning curve but very rewarding once grasped.
Stuff I got to setup a working environment for AlbumEasy
We will need
Albumeasy
Notepad++ (a text editor)
Npp Plugin Manager (manage plugins for Notepad++)
Nppsnippet (a plugin to add code snippets to aid in quick input of commands)
Autosave2 (plugin to save your work at regular intervals not essential but nice to have)
I use Notepad++ it's free and packed full of features and you can get and install plugins to add features easily
There are at least 2 plugins you should get. One to manage plugins it installs deletes an updates your plugins
You can choose from a list of plugins in the manager. I have a Keyword highlighting file and snippet files for albumeasy in Notepad++, and a Basic PDF manual I made up for my use, if you want these I've put them in a zipped file, extract the file and read the ReadMe.txt.
Link to my AlbumEasy zip file

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XU...?usp=sharing

AlbumEasy (the latest version is 3.7 as of this post)
http://www.thestampweb.com/
Videos you can watch to get you started
Introduction to AlbumEasy
7BXbw3XkheQ

Getting started
JImjJN18-Pk

Have a look in your Documents directory in the Albumeasy folder there is a Examples folder with a whole lot of
Examples have a look at them to get an idea how the txt files work and generate the PDF's to see what you get.
Notepad++
To make the text files for the program to generate a PDF Document
Notepad++ is a free (as in "free speech" and also as in "free beer") source code editor and Notepad replacement that supports several languages. Running in the MS Windows environment, its use is governed byGPLLicense.
Based on the powerful editing componentScintilla,Notepad++is written in C++ and uses pure Win32 API and STL which ensures a higher execution speed and smaller program size. By optimizing as many routines as possible without losing user friendliness,Notepad++is trying to reduce the world carbon dioxide emissions. When using less CPU power, the PC can throttle down and reduce power consumption, resulting in a greener environment.
I installed the 32 bit version on my 64 bit windows because there are not a lot of plugins available for the 64 bit version as yet.
https://notepad-plus-plus.org
Notepad++ Plugin manager
Installation
To install the plugin manager, simply download (links below) the .zip, and place the PluginManager.dll file in the Notepad++ plugins directory, and the gpup.exe in the updater directory under your Notepad++ program directory. (e.g. "C:\Program Files\Notepad++\updater")

In fact, if you prefer, you can just add the PluginManager.dll to the plugins directory, then do a reinstall of Plugin Manager from the plugin itself, which will place the file in the right place! Of course, if you're already using an earlier version of the plugin manager, you'll be able to just update from the update tab (or when you get the notification that the update has happened)
https://github.com/bruderstein/nppP...s/tag/v1.4.9
Plugins to get
You can install these from the Plugin Manager in the plugin menu in Notepad++
To get
NppSnippets
If you want to download it and not use the manager https://github.com/ffes/nppsnippets...s/tag/v1.4.0
To manually install the plugin, copyNppSnippets.dllto thepluginsdirectory and copyTemplate.sqliteto theplugins/configdirectory in the user's "Application Data" directory and name itNppSnippets.sqlite. On my Windows 7 machine this directory isC:\Users\Frank\AppData\Roaming\Notepad++\plugins\config. Then (re)start Notepad++.
Nice to have
AutoSave2
Change Markers
There are many more you might see some that you might find useful.
Need help, I have found Clive the author of AlbumEasy helpful and answers his emails quickly.
Send note to Staff
Edited by Perfin_RK - 05/08/2018 03:30 am

Valued Member
South Africa
229 Posts
Posted 05/07/2018   3:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Perfin_RK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Now that you have the software, and installed it. Let's set it all up so we can start working on our albums.
Fire up Notepad ++
Go to the plugins menu item find the Plugin manager entry click on that
Scroll down the list and find NppSnippets , select the tick box and press install.
Have a look at the list see if there are any other plugins that might be useful to you and install those.
Once installed, Npp will restart, it should show up on the left hand side. .(,to add new library)
Code Keyword Colouring
Next go to the language menu item near the bottom select user defined press the import button
And then import my UL_AlbumEasy3.7.xml file. Close the window.
Select AlbumEasy in the Language menu, this will colour different commands and keywords makes it easier to find mistakes.
You now have an quick easy way of putting in command into your album text file.
Snippets
In the snippet window there is a Template library, I have made up a few templates to help start
Albumeasy3.7 New A4 - Inserts all the commands for the beginning of an album edit to suit your album.
Albumeasy3.7 New US Letter As above but for US Letter page size.
Albumeasy3.7 First Page Sample First Page
Albumeasy3.7 Next Page Sample for following pages.
Going to put one in for a file I found on this site by desertgem it's an annotated file as a tutorial. See desertgem's Post here . http://goscf.com/t/1326
These are just templates edit hell out of them to suit your album.
And maybe the template for Steiner page style.

If you find any mistakes or spelling errors please let me know and ill sort it out.
Then in the library file There should be an AlbumEasy entry click on that and you should see the list of snippets for Albumeasy commands, double click on the one you want and it will input it into your file, you don't have to type out the whole command, edit any parameters and away you go.
Once you done editing save your work and it's time to generate your page. Remember where you saved your page.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
South Africa
229 Posts
Posted 05/07/2018   3:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Perfin_RK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Generating your first album
Now fire up Albumeasy
On the top row you will see a few menu buttons
Press the "Open" button, then select the file you saved AlbumeasyAlbum .txt to open it.
Pressing the "Generate" button will create the file AlbumSample.pdf, which may now be viewed or printed.
You can view it from the App with the preview button, check it make changes and adjustments in your text file, regenerate the PDF and view or print it. Your PDF file with the same name as your .txt file, it will be in the same directory as the TXT file. So you should have a AlbumeasyAlbum .txt file and a AlbumeasyAlbum .pdf file in the same directory.
Valued Member
Canada
273 Posts
Posted 05/08/2018   02:35 am  Show Profile Check clivel's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add clivel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Perfin_RK,
The keyword highlighting and snippets for Notepad++ are an excellent idea, especially with your very detailed instructions.

I can't wait to give them a try.
Thanks,
Clive

AlbumEasy - Free software for creating custom stamp album pages
PSGSA - The Philatelic Society for Greater Southern Africa

Valued Member
South Africa
229 Posts
Posted 05/08/2018   4:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Perfin_RK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Edited by Perfin_RK - 05/09/2018 1:00 pm
Valued Member
South Africa
229 Posts
Posted 05/09/2018   10:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Perfin_RK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is an updated AlbumEasy V3.7 Reference eBook pdf file, I hope to update it as new features for AlbumEasy are released.
Edited by Perfin_RK - 05/09/2018 1:01 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2982 Posts
Posted 05/10/2018   5:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I installed the npp setup. The nppsnippet plug in is listed as "snippet".
Al
Valued Member
South Africa
229 Posts
Posted 05/11/2018   10:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Perfin_RK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Angore, Hope it was clear enough to follow though.Doing it and explaining it is a not easy. well for me anyway.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2982 Posts
Posted 02/18/2021   06:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bump. Is there any update to using notepad++ with Album Easy? Can the colors be customized in the plug in?
Al
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7358 Posts
Posted 02/18/2021   09:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Angore, this is an old post. Album Easy is now up to Version 4.2.1
https://www.thestampweb.com/albumeasy

Peter
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
474 Posts
Posted 02/18/2021   2:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add uboatnut to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And AE includes its own text editor. You don't need Notepad or any free-stranding text editor.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2982 Posts
Posted 02/19/2021   06:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am aware of all the AE updates. My question is about the notepad++ plugin he created. The plugin provides enhancements (clipboard, etc.) not available in the current AE editor.

I had sent him emails via SCF but no response. He had visited recently so bumped his post in case he was not getting the emails and would see this.
Al
Edited by angore - 02/19/2021 06:55 am
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
474 Posts
Posted 02/19/2021   11:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add uboatnut to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just emailed Clive in reference to your question.
Valued Member
Netherlands
230 Posts
Posted 04/09/2021   10:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ricky93 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Perfin_RK,

Your Google Drive link containing your AlbumEasy zip file does not work...
Can someone / you re-upload the zip file please?

Thanks in advance,
Ricky.
Thank you for reading my post.
-- Ricky93
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7358 Posts
Posted 04/09/2021   10:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ricky93, that file is three years old. Maybe you can reach Perfin_RK directly through SCF email?

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2982 Posts
Posted 04/10/2021   06:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I had tried reaching him via SCF messaging several times without success. The forum says he last accessed logged in back in January.
Al
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 2,432Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.26 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05