Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Oleomargarine

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 55 / Views: 7,655Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar Of The Community
4585 Posts
Posted 12/23/2017   4:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Some additional stamps:

And a sampling of the annual special tax stamps, large and small, both issued mid-year thus containing only some of the monthly stubs:

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by John Becker - 12/23/2017 4:43 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2943 Posts
Posted 12/26/2017   5:22 pm  Show Profile Check Nells250's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Glad to see some updates, and revenuermd's explanation! I think now I need to go scan my stamp...

I love the mixing fork, by the way!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2943 Posts
Posted 12/26/2017   5:27 pm  Show Profile Check Nells250's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
All this time, I thought I had an Oleo stamp!! That means I have been passing up copies all these years!

I DO, though, have an Iowa state Oleo stamp:

Valued Member
498 Posts
Posted 12/27/2017   4:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StateRevs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
An example from Kansas:

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1457 Posts
Posted 12/29/2017   3:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Some of the early oleo taxpaids are very attractive ... and very expensive. I post these two as examples, though they are not in my collection. Someday, perhaps.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2943 Posts
Posted 12/30/2017   3:02 pm  Show Profile Check Nells250's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That last one is niiiiiiice
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1732 Posts
Posted 12/30/2017   3:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is the first federal oleomargarine tax stamp, the series of 1886.

Jim

Pillar Of The Community
United States
786 Posts
Posted 12/30/2017   5:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revenuermd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Greg Alex - your second example is stamped 36 pounds. Unfortunately someone cut off the 6 one pound coupons on the left, which would make it even more interesting.
Ron Lesher
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1457 Posts
Posted 12/30/2017   10:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Would that be true for Jim's 10-lb. stamp, too?
Edited by GregAlex - 12/30/2017 10:49 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
786 Posts
Posted 12/31/2017   06:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revenuermd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Greg Alex - Jim's stamp is handstamped 10 pounds, so at the time that the stamp was affixed to the package or firkin, the pound coupons were properly cut off. Only when the package contained an amount that was not exactly divisible by ten would some of the coupons be left attached to the stamp. I will try later today to scan an example with additional coupons still attached.
Ron Lesher
Edited by revenuermd - 12/31/2017 06:20 am
Valued Member
United States
264 Posts
Posted 10/20/2018   6:53 pm  Show Profile Check Max_Power's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Max_Power to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
do the numbers denote the amount of pounds?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8282 Posts
Posted 10/20/2018   7:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The 60 lb is also tough.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
786 Posts
Posted 10/21/2018   2:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revenuermd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The large numbers do denote the number of pounds in the container.
Ron Lesher
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2943 Posts
Posted 09/04/2022   4:55 pm  Show Profile Check Nells250's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just ran across this 1943 oleo ad:

Older folks may know this, but it appears oleomargarine wasn't rationed the same was as real butter during WWII, hence was rather popular! One magazine I found stated that "... butter is a luxury and margarine, the universal substitute, is non-existent".

Note in the British 1943 ad below for Stork Margarine the fact that their product isn't available!

Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
Posted 09/04/2022   5:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Reddeye to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting read. Thanks for the good bit of history. Never knew of the Butter-Margarine Tax Wars.
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 55 / Views: 7,655Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05