Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Future Of White Ace Albums?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 75 / Views: 11,566Next Topic
Page: of 5
Valued Member
United States
16 Posts
Posted 10/29/2018   09:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add BrownstownSoul to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I just received a notice that Washington Press will soon be closing its doors. This was always my source of White Ace albums.

Is that it for White Ace albums? That would surely be a shame. These are fine albums.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5022 Posts
Posted 10/29/2018   09:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What an absolute shame. I love their albums.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
84 Posts
Posted 10/29/2018   11:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BwanaBob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I spoke to one of the remaining people at Washington Press. It's true. Apparently they are down to a skeleton crew as people retired and were not replaced. They are having a 50% off sale so grab your gear while they're still available.

One thing I forgot to ask was if there was any chance of someone buying the rights to their brand and continuing the line.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
690 Posts
Posted 10/29/2018   12:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dutchman1948 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Is it the art craft part of the business shutting down or the whole business including albums, binders as well?

It is hard to figure out from the details posted.

Has anyone actually called them to get specifics?
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
690 Posts
Posted 10/29/2018   12:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dutchman1948 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just called them and confirmed they are closing the doors and all albums and binders are also 50% off.

They are looking for a buyer but told me it is not looking good as no interest so far.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1188 Posts
Posted 10/29/2018   12:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampman2002 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow. That's a real loss. The Washington Press has been around for decades.

Sometimes, progress just sucks.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4209 Posts
Posted 10/29/2018   1:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My father housed his JFK & FDR collections in White Ace. Thanks for the memories.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
953 Posts
Posted 10/30/2018   07:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My first albums were White Ace. Still have them and still use some of their blank pages. Sad to see them go. Wish it weren't so.

Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5022 Posts
Posted 10/30/2018   07:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
United States
560 Posts
Posted 10/30/2018   12:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eligies to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the great link. I am going nuts finding some of these. Now if I can only get the order in before they cash out.
Pillar Of The Community
841 Posts
Posted 11/25/2018   11:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Update: They are no longer taking orders as of about mid-November. I'm surprised no one bought them. What a loss. Likely purchasers would have been Subway Stamp Shop, Mystic Stamp Company, or even perhaps Amos Media. Or another buyer with some cash and an interest in stamp publishing.
Learn More...
8599 Posts
Posted 11/26/2018   06:38 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
…Likely purchasers would have been Subway Stamp Shop, Mystic Stamp Company, or even perhaps Amos Media…

All print publishers struggled to transition to being digital; the small number that have been successful have done it by being willing to walk away from their traditional business models and learn new ways of doing online business.

If a company is currently struggling themselves to make the transition, it will not help them to take on even more risk and use limited resources by buying other failed publishers.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2863 Posts
Posted 11/26/2018   07:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When you see companies going under, I always would like to see the financials behind the business. For example, it could be debt of unsold inventory, high fixed costs (salaries, infrastructure), marketing costs, revenue/cash flow, etc. It helps add judgment to comments like when Regency failed where the hobby was blamed.
Al
Edited by angore - 11/26/2018 09:17 am
Valued Member
United States
84 Posts
Posted 11/27/2018   10:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BwanaBob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have been a White Ace USA guy for 30 years. So now I have to find a new system.
I have questions about Scott albums that I cannot find anywhere, so I'll throw it out to you all.

National albums are supposed to be Scott's top of the line.
1) Are their supplements complete in terms of stamps issued in the calendar year? That is to say when the 2018 supplement is issued will it have every stamp issued from Jan1 - Dec31, or is it some skewed period like Nov 2017 - Oct 2018?
2) When they put space for a coil issue, is it for a single stamp or do they insist on strips? Nowadays coils seem to be printed detached from each other so strips seems stupid to me.
3) Are blocks of 4 only shown as a block? Seems to me that if a stamp has a unique integer Scott number it ought to have its own space. Blocks in the containing numbers (making them up for illustration) 2500-2503 usually id the block as 2503a. That should not be the only way it is illustrated, one cannot collect used that way, especially with self adhesives. Now items that are souvenir sheets I can see being the sheet only. For the life of me I cannot fathom why Scott sometimes enumerates individual stamps and other times gives them letters in a multi-stamp issue.
4) I know they have thin paper, so I would be willing to scan any new supplement and print it onto sturdier stock. Are the stamps grouped such that, if one ignored the border which can be erased in scan, would the remaining stamps fit on a standard 8 1/2 x 11 page?

I guess I'd be interested in the same info for Minuteman.
I have no interest in Mystic (because I think they're the ones hat print info on the back of the opposing page - that's a non-starter for me.

Any help is appreciated.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2863 Posts
Posted 11/27/2018   11:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
For the life of me I cannot fathom why Scott sometimes enumerates individual stamps and other times gives them letters in a multi-stamp issue.

If a sheet has same number stamps as designs, it will usually give the sheet a major number and individual stamps minor numbers. This then means Scott will likely put a spot for a full sheet on album pages.

If the sheet has multiple copies of same design, they will assign the stamps (not the sheet) a major number and include a minor number for pair/strip but not the sheet!

Al
Valued Member
United States
84 Posts
Posted 11/28/2018   08:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BwanaBob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ok, so if there's a regular block of 4 designs, each with a major number, do they provide space for the individual stamps as well as the "setenant block"? It would stand to reason, given their claim on the cover sheet of supplements, that they provide a space for each major number (since the block is a minor number).
Page: of 5 Previous TopicReplies: 75 / Views: 11,566Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.53 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05