Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Like These, But Are They Worth Anything?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 853Next Topic  
Valued Member
South Africa
28 Posts
Posted 11/07/2018   09:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add PeerStamp to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I found these in my collection but had no idea what they were. Whats your take on the value of these. I wish they were not cut out like that...

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 11/07/2018   09:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mutilated Postal Stationery Fragments.
The Mexico is a postage Stamp
The 2nd Chile piece, has a nice "TPO" Travelling Post Office Postmark.
The COGH Cape of Good Hope, has a postmark I have never seen before.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by rod222 - 11/07/2018 09:11 am
Valued Member
18 Posts
Posted 11/07/2018   09:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add youngstampguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am not any expert on these but nowadays no one much collect these, so they have modest value. Maybe you could start collecting these? I too love them but it's quite difficult to buy these here.
Valued Member
18 Posts
Posted 11/07/2018   09:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add youngstampguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Also, as you said if they were not cut out they would have had a little more value
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4047 Posts
Posted 11/07/2018   11:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Back in the bad old days, stamp collectors figured that they only needed to collect the stampy part of postal stationery.

Today, we gnash our terrible teeth, and roar our terrible roar ... and collect entires.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey (who can still recite from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Where...d_Things_Are )
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 11/07/2018   11:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This one had me stumped....A new discovery
the "1920" is a fixed part of the CDS ( Circular Date Stamp) Machine Cancel.

LINCOLN June 21st 1920

Edited by rod222 - 11/07/2018 11:57 pm
Valued Member
18 Posts
Posted 11/08/2018   12:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add youngstampguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Except USA do other countries cutouts get listed in catalogues?
Pillar Of The Community
803 Posts
Posted 11/08/2018   12:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Popular or not, correct or not, corner cuttings of "cut squares" and stamps are interesting to me. Maybe they're not collected anymore, but I don't see why they couldn't be? We take stamps off covers one way or the other, so why not do what earlier collectors did and cut these off covers? My only objection is that I would trim them more neatly. I'm not a fan of ripped edges on anything. Mount them in an album, and they become an interesting collectible.
Valued Member
South Africa
28 Posts
Posted 11/08/2018   01:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PeerStamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all the responses.

Rod222, to which COGH are you refering to. FYI, I most likely will have plenty South African stuff you have not seen. Especially if you are interested in cancellation stamps.

@DrewM I agree with you 100%
But how would you "file" your embossed stamps. They would get squashed flat.
Pillar Of The Community
France
1246 Posts
Posted 11/08/2018   01:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vayolene to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cape of Good Hope wrapper with "Argus wheel" cancellation.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 11/08/2018   03:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Cape of Good Hope wrapper with "Argus wheel" cancellation.

Thank you very much indeed, Vayolene

Quote:
I most likely will have plenty South African stuff you have not seen.

We always encourage members to post interesting items, not too much at once, please ! .........

Too much of a good thing, spoils the taste.

Wrappers...Rocky Mountain Philatelic Library

https://www.rmpldenver.org/images/p...bblings-.pdf

Edited by rod222 - 11/08/2018 03:41 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 11/08/2018   04:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Fabulous study of the Cape Argus Postmarks..........

http://postalstationeryaustralia.co...40feb05r.pdf
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4047 Posts
Posted 11/08/2018   09:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... Popular or not, correct or not, corner cuttings of "cut squares" and stamps are interesting to me. Maybe they're not collected anymore, but I don't see why they couldn't be? ...

Neither do I.

I make a point of 'expensing out' everything I spend on my hobbies. I compare the dollars I spend to the hours I spend, and compare that to what it costs to do dinner and a movie - or a weekend on the road - and figure that, in every case, the money went to a good cause.

The only problem I have with buying new entires at the post office and cutting-out the indicia is how to cut? Even margins all around? How much? Centimeter? Half-inch? And that leaves you with variegated rectangles. Perhaps two-inch squares? Until I decide, I'd just keep the entire and, uh-oh- there we are!

It is hardly news that many/most people want to 'fit in', some more, some less. So it is only fair that we alert newbies to current community values, and we can do that (one hopes) without egregiously insulting them. "Yeah, you can get saved in that tank top, but at our church most folks wear their Sunday Best" can be welcome, heartfelt advice ...

In that same vein, I would caution someone who is mounting their stamps with a bit a SuperGlue in each corner why this is not a typical choice ... while I complement them on all that money they are saving on archival mounts.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Learn More...
8371 Posts
Posted 11/08/2018   09:34 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I collect US cut squares and use Vario page to display them. Vario pages makes it easy to add new material/dies over time without bothering to rearrange. Then periodically I revisit the organization, adding new pages and labels. For me, cut squares are far easier than to collect whole postal stationery.
Don
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 853Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05