Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

US Soldiers In World War I

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 30 / Views: 1,740Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
27 Posts
Posted 06/29/2020   11:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mlandolfi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello all ,

I came across a few binders filled with WW1 postcards. A lot appear to be real photos. I was hoping to see if anyone could help me price this post card.

Also if anyone is looking for WW1 post Cards let me know I can keep an eye out

Thank you all in advance

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2458 Posts
Posted 06/30/2020   08:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'll refer you to the Metro post card site again, to the history of the postcard, where you can get an idea of what type of cards howiew4 had in his eBay store.

http://www.metropostcard.com/metropchistory.html

You should have no trouble finding some interesting real photo cards from WWI to post in this thread. Make as many posts as you can, in this and any other thread you begin.

You will need 50 posts before you can send or receive personal messages with anyone on this forum, which you'll need before I can ask if you have any cards that may be of interest to me.

Since you are in un-familiar territory, a newbie as it where, Postcard collectors and sellers tend to call the photo side the front while postal history collectors will call that the back, the front has a stamp and address.
Edited by littleriverphil - 06/30/2020 08:12 am
Valued Member
United States
27 Posts
Posted 06/30/2020   7:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mlandolfi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
littleriverphil

I will continue to post to get to 50. I am extremely interested in learning as much as I can collecting is in our blood it seems and I have too many collections as it is :)

I only took the back pictures as I thought it might help with pricing. I have been reading a lot on the website you provided I think my main insecurity with this collecting it pricing it all fair.

Thank you for taking the time to help me out.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
977 Posts
Posted 07/01/2020   02:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mlandolfi, it would be helpful if you were able to post larger images of the picture sides. That's a fairly low-res image you posted and a lot of us have weak eyes. :-)
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2458 Posts
Posted 07/01/2020   07:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The size limit on posted scans or pics is 200 KB. I'm using Edge for a browser, with will not work with the photo optimizer, so I save a 24% copy of my scans in a file for forum display.

This card was scanned at 600 dpi, and this is 25% of that scan which gives me a photo of 170KB or 648 X 409 for the back (shown first) and 129 KB and 662 x 410 for the front.

What I'm looking for on postcards is the postmark, and occasionally the picture on the back, if it fits my collection. The front of the card below shows two towns that I collect, Albion, where it was sent from and Rio Dell where it was sent

Edited by littleriverphil - 07/01/2020 07:56 am
Valued Member
United States
27 Posts
Posted 07/01/2020   4:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mlandolfi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
LRPhil,

I will absolutely keep an eye out for those post cards as I go through. I assume mainly WW1 post cards?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2458 Posts
Posted 07/02/2020   08:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, actually most of backs of my card will show redwood logging. Also mostly would be from 1900 to 1920 ish. Postcard's golden age. I collect two California counties, Humboldt and Mendocino.

I could send a list but there are 340+ towns, and a couple of cities involved.

You mentioned you had a couple of binders of WWI postcards. Start posting some of them, I posted my card to show what size is possible.
Valued Member
United States
27 Posts
Posted 07/03/2020   07:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mlandolfi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have so many. It's fun to look through but even more to look through then with a purpose :-). I think the majority of the posts cards are from the 1906-1920. I have a few large binders of post cards that were mailed during that time. Why I started looking at selling the stamps. If you want to send me a list I will be happy to look thru them all.

I am so far at 4 posts so it's gonna take a bit lol
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2458 Posts
Posted 07/03/2020   11:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I am so far at 4 posts so it's gonna take a bit lol

Lol, well, so far you've shown one (1) postcard of the 30,000 you inherited from howiew4.

Quote:
even more to look through then with a purpose

What kind of system did Howie use in his store? Keep an eye out for RPO cancels, as they are a popular topic. So are exhibition cancels.
Real Photo cards are another. When you get to sorting by state, here's a California county finder for postmarks.

http://pbbooks.com/caindex.htm

Try to add a card to the threads on the post card forum. The topic list is a good indicator of what type of card are of interest.
Edited by littleriverphil - 07/03/2020 11:56 am
Valued Member
United States
27 Posts
Posted 07/03/2020   12:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mlandolfi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My grandpa got on eBay in 2004 (around 84 y/o) he systems was I need to get ride of these post cards. He would sell one post card and send the collector multiple cards from from the same illustrator. So I am creating a system and all the information you have provided is helping me a ton!

I will start posting more in the post card forum right away
Valued Member
United States
27 Posts
Posted 07/03/2020   1:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mlandolfi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
345 Posts
Posted 07/03/2020   1:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mlandolfi, Having the cards by illustrator is an interesting approach.

It prompts me to ask if you might have any postcards illustrated by a fellow named Hy Kost.
Kost was in my grandfathers unit in World War I in France. After the armistice, some of the men formed a sort of variety show to entertain the troops while they waiting to be shipped home to the States. Some of the troupe had professional experience on vaudeville. My grandfather sang, but Hy Kost did an act as an ambidextrous cartoonist/caricaturist.

Here is Kost's self-depiction of his act, with my grandfather next to him, somewhere in France as they say.

After the war, Kost illustrated at least one postcard of which unused examples occasionally show up on eBay. But without a postmark I do not know when it was produced - just the 20s or maybe 30s.

Edited by jleb1979 - 07/03/2020 1:29 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2458 Posts
Posted 07/03/2020   2:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There ya go! Using the Williams book, California Town Postmarks 1849-1935, the postmark is either SCR-1600 or SCR-1610, depending on how far it is between first letter of town and first letter of state. 3mm is 1600, 4mm is 1610.

Are those phone pics? Try turning the phone.
Valued Member
United States
27 Posts
Posted 07/03/2020   3:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mlandolfi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jleb that's an amazing story and I can see why you would want to collect those postcard. As for the artist (Hy Kost) I have it written down fo keep an eye out for. I have plenty more boxes to go through.

Yea I found a few Cali postcard non with any WWI scenes. They are phone pictures haven't gotten out the camera yet.

Valued Member
United States
27 Posts
Posted 07/03/2020   8:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mlandolfi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Found a few more however still on the look.

Last non WW1 I will post..sorry
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 30 / Views: 1,740Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05