Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need Some Help With This 1851 Cancel

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26627 Posts
Posted 02/10/2019   11:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I suspect originally, when the rosettes were being machined into the reliefs, that the machining was slightly out of 'register' (Perhaps the wrong word) with the rest of the design at that point.

MM,
As soon as you said, "one pass" I then agreed with your suggestion.
I am only a US pretender, I know nothing of the production of their stamps, but using the British Rose engine as an example, I think the scroll work was produced vertically on a face plate in a Rose Engine lathe.
"Slightly out of register" makes perfect sense to me, this is very fine work.

Takes nothing away from the stamp, makes it more interesting.
The lathe work between the rosettes is just beautiful, beats the framework of the Penny Black in my opinion.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2008 Posts
Posted 02/11/2019   5:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have at least one Troy cancel from 1851, it is blue. I might even have more than one style. Also in my collection are part India stamps used in MA (Boston), NJ, CT, OH, and even a few yet to be figured out. Several are on cover...
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2008 Posts
Posted 02/11/2019   5:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think Boxborough is going to be a winner but I just found a Foxboro cancel from 1857-61 on eBay that looks promising. I won't be convinced totally until I see a good example on a cover from closer to 1851.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2008 Posts
Posted 02/11/2019   5:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is one of my Troy, NY covers from 1851.

Edited by sinclair2010 - 02/11/2019 5:50 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3235 Posts
Posted 02/11/2019   6:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Lots of "boro's" in MA. Northboro, Lanesboro.......
Edited by rogdcam - 02/11/2019 6:01 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
985 Posts
Posted 02/11/2019   6:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One can eliminate Attleboro ... it was still being spelled "borough" until around WWI.
Pillar Of The Community
2119 Posts
Posted 02/11/2019   6:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Attleborough, Mass was officially changed to Attleboro on Aug 9, 1894 as published in the Postal Bulletin of 8/27/1894. Part of the mass changings of -borough to -boro and other name standardizations of PMG Wanamaker. Granted, some individuals and businesses may have continued to use the old spelling for some time afterwards.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3235 Posts
Posted 02/11/2019   6:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Truro by any chance?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2008 Posts
Posted Yesterday   7:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So, I have found a potential match. It isn't perfect for a couple reasons but seems pretty compelling in other ways. What does everybody think? I am pretty sure this new cover has a Foxborough CDS.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2008 Posts
Posted Yesterday   7:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just dug out the stamp. I guess it probably isn't going to work, the mystery cancel has larger, wider spaced letters in the town name.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1619 Posts
Posted Today  56 Min ago  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Winston, in your post here -

http://goscf.com/t/66246&whichpage=2#578167

you indicate that this 'Troy' is 1851, which I assume is a typo.
If that is a 1E stamp, then its probably 1852.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2008 Posts
Posted Today  2 Min ago  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
LOL, I grabbed the wrong image I guess. I have previously used that image as proof that stamps were not always used up as quickly as is usually assumed.

Page: of 2  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.77 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05