Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Modern Hobby Local Post Thread

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 1,740Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4990 Posts
Posted 03/23/2019   1:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting that the person called his/her local post TNT. There is a TNT private courier service in Europe which is a part of a Dutch corporation.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1039 Posts
Posted 03/23/2019   1:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The guy who mailed the cover and designed the cancel is named Ted Tompkins, so my guess is that T.N.T. are his initials.
Valued Member
United States
156 Posts
Posted 03/26/2019   09:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add johnsim03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a nice cover from Czyl's Penny Post from 1975:

John
River of the Monks Local Post
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1107 Posts
Posted 11/15/2020   7:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I picked up two nice local post covers over the weekend that I thought I'd share here. Both also had complimenting USPS cancellations. I think they may have forgotten to affix an actual postage stamp to the Oregon cover -- it looks like an afterthought.

Edited by GregAlex - 11/15/2020 7:19 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1107 Posts
Posted 11/21/2020   12:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I found one more local post, tucked away. I wonder if anyone knows: did these modern local posts actually act as mail carriers in some capacity? It would seem that the two I posted previously did move mail, but this one I'm not so sure.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
30845 Posts
Posted 11/21/2020   01:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Howard Local Post
http://zenius.kalnieciai.lt/america...usa/usa.html

The Howard Local Post was started in 1972 by Howard Du Bose of Durham, N.C. The Sherlock Holmes Old Radio issue was #42 in the series, issued on May 18, 1976, influenced by the Sherlock Holmes radio show (Mr. Du Bose was a professional radio engineer in the early '70s). There were 750 stamps printed, in 30 sheets of 25, and 150 First Day covers.
Howard says "I combined my interest in collecting stamps, reading mystery novels (I started in Viet Nam with Nero Wolfe), and working in radio. I did several radio stamps. I only did stamps about what I was interested in. I had a total of 55 issues, some of which are still for sale! "

https://www.trussel.com/detfic/sholmes.htm#Howard

Note: 3 on eBay, all postally used
Perhaps labels only used as cartoons.
Edited by rod222 - 11/21/2020 02:37 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1107 Posts
Posted 11/24/2020   7:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That makes sense, since the Green Hornet started as a radio series.

I found two more! These were mailed to me back in my early days of collecting. I'm sure they were freebies, because that was about my budget back then.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
30845 Posts
Posted 11/24/2020   8:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Know the "Pineapple Post" well !

I'll dig up some scans

Australian Cinderella Catalogue Mr.Bill Hornadge

SCF member Philatarium (Dave)

Edited by rod222 - 11/24/2020 8:13 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
30845 Posts
Posted 11/24/2020   8:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

FMF Local Post
Fort Meyers Florida
https://sossi.org/local/fmf.htm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1107 Posts
Posted 11/26/2020   01:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all the background on these, Rod!
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 1,740Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05