Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Question About Album/Display Adhesives

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
116 Posts
Posted 03/13/2019   3:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add BFRomeos to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Greetings:

I am considering a method for mounting stamps in an album. While labor intensive, it may be more cost-effective than commercial mounting products - if it causes no damage to the stamps themselves.

The proposed method employs sheets of polyproplyene (the material from which clear loose-leaf page holders are made), cut to size with sufficient clearance margin when covering a stamp. The polyprop cover would then be affixed to the acid-free page using three strips of clear, two-sided tape: one strip to each side, one on the bottom, while the top is left open, forming a pocket to accept the stamp.

The key concern here is the adhesive - probably an acrylic derivative plus some other petrochemical distillates. The stamp could float within the pocket and make contact with the adhesive, the constituents of which could leech into the stamp. Maybe.

I'm simultaneously pursuing this question via Mr. Google, but I thought I'd try my luck here as well. As always, thank you in advance.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
545 Posts
Posted 03/13/2019   3:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No way. Just the mention of tape, let alone the unknown properties of the polyproplyene, would suggest a no starter.

If the stamp has any value at all, stick with mounts, but if the stamps are of little value at least use a hinge minimum.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
116 Posts
Posted 03/13/2019   5:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BFRomeos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@No1Philatelist: Est quod id est! You confirmed my suspicions - thank you.

My 1973-vintage Minkus All American - binder and pages - are deteriorating as I start handling it again after all these years. I'll be in the market for a new album. The archives here suggest that a good candidate is the Mystic Heirloom set. I'll also comb through the threads on mounts.

BTW, as a 12-year old country boy, I had no concept of mounts, so I would cradle a mint stamp with two hinges as so:

It generally worked well with single stamps, less so for large se-tenants and souvenir sheets.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1370 Posts
Posted 03/13/2019   6:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Polypropylene is okay by itself in my opinion; it's what is used in cover sleeves. But I've run across some rather greasy page holders that probably still had manufacturing mold release compound on them. Those I would avoid completely.

Polypropylene appears to be impervious to adhesive tape, so if the adhesive is going anywhere, it will migrate into album paper or the stamp first. One thing that helps the adhesive migrate is warmth. The poly cover will then move also. Also, seeing how cheap stockbooks, and album pages using individual pocket-type mounts, both with a rubber cement-type adhesive, the stamps will (not "could") touch the adhesive and some will always be damaged.

Don't do this.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
296 Posts
Posted 03/13/2019   9:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add codehappy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you're going with the Mystic Heirloom album, you can always purchase the hingeless version. This is one of the better value hingeless albums on the market; it will probably cost you less than the regular album plus the required mounts will, and you don't need to take the time to figure out how many of each mount size you need.

Mystic's albums are generally priced right; for stamps they tend to be on the expensive side, though.
Valued Member
United States
116 Posts
Posted 03/13/2019   10:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BFRomeos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great replies, everyone. Thank you
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
545 Posts
Posted 03/13/2019   10:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I do have to credit you BFRomeos. For a 12 year old to take an adhesive stamp mount and put it on the way you show in order to preserve the mint state and not to disturb the gum itself was clever. May not have been the prettiest but it worked. Kudos for your ingenuity.
Valued Member
United States
116 Posts
Posted 03/14/2019   11:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BFRomeos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@No1philatelist: You should see the stock page I have filled with ruined stamps from previous and, uh, less-successful mounting attempts.
Valued Member
United States
133 Posts
Posted 03/14/2019   4:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Coastwatcher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If you're going with the Mystic Heirloom album, you can always purchase the hingeless version.

I wholeheartedly agree. I bought the first 3 volumes of the Mystic Heirloom hingeless albums, which go up to 1984, back in January and have been extremely happy with them. Whenever I get a new stamp, I get down the appropriate volume and slip the stamp into the mount. Easy as that. No more looking for the appropriate size mount (if I even have the correct size), no more trimming, and no more adding the mount to the album. I doubt I'll ever buy a non-hingeless album again. The Mystic hingeless albums are by far the best value for hingeless US albums on the market. Their stamp prices, on the other hand, leave something to be desired.
Valued Member
United States
116 Posts
Posted 03/14/2019   10:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BFRomeos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The hingeless album concept is compelling in all ways but one:

I got a lot of selvage going on. Still trying to read up on mounts as time permits.
Edited by BFRomeos - 03/14/2019 10:38 pm
Valued Member
United States
12 Posts
Posted 03/15/2019   11:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sderms to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Glad to have found this thread today because it deals with an issue that I have been trying to solve. I have an old Minkus All American album which I started to fill as a kid about 60 years ago. I took a 30 year break from collecting but now, retired, thought to resume my collection. I acquired a used Shaubeck hingeless album, volume 3, from a dealer and transferred all of my collection from 1975 to 1993 into that album. I loved the hingeless feature (it uses split back clear mounts, the fact that the pages laid flat when the album was open and the fact that it had Scott numbers for each stamp (my Minkus album used a different system and I have been unable to find a conversion table). I am still looking to find a used volume 2 of this album because I find the cost of a new one outrageous, particularly when the cost of the pages, the binder, the slip case and mailing is considered. I just suffered a significant defeat: I found exactly what I was looking for on an eBay auction but, with 18 seconds left on the auction, I was outbid and had no time to rebid before the auction ended.

Since I had been looking for months without success, I started considering alternatives and purchased volumes 1 and 2 of a Mystic American Heirloom album on eBay. (Here, a caution: this was a 1999 edition, which must have predated Mystic's getting a license to include Scott numbers, so if this feature is important, be sure to check.) I liked the album, particularly the information contained on the reverse side of each page and started to transfer my stamps I was faced with the task and cost of purchasing literally hundreds of mounts of differing sizes. Because it didn't seem cost-efficient, I called Mystic and asked them to send me sample pages of the Hingeless American Heirloom Album which I am now contemplating purchasing. I received the samples and saw that, although Mystic sells primarily split back mounts with black background, its hingeless album contains clear mounts that are not split back. Indeed, the mounts are only closed on the bottom; the sides and the top are open. Does anyone have experience, good or bad, with these mounts; are the stamps secure or do they move around? Any input would be appreciated.
Valued Member
United States
133 Posts
Posted 03/15/2019   3:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Coastwatcher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I received the samples and saw that, although Mystic sells primarily split back mounts with black background, its hingeless album contains clear mounts that are not split back. Indeed, the mounts are only closed on the bottom; the sides and the top are open. Does anyone have experience, good or bad, with these mounts; are the stamps secure or do they move around? Any input would be appreciated.

I, too, was originally concerned about these types of mounts when I bought my Mystic albums but decided to take a chance. I'm glad that I did and now prefer this type of mount. They are much easier to use than split-back mounts and, in my opion, hold the stamps just as securely, just make sure to insert the stamp far enough down in the mount so that it is wedged in. Also, in the past I have damaged stamps trying to insert them into split-back mounts. I don't have to worry about that now. As most of the stamps that I now need for my US collection are a little on the expensive side, this means a lot to me. I am extremely happy with my Mystic hingeless albums and would happily recommend them to anyone.
Edited by Coastwatcher - 03/15/2019 4:04 pm
Valued Member
United States
12 Posts
Posted 03/15/2019   8:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sderms to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Coastwatcher:
Thanks for your reply.
Pillar Of The Community
522 Posts
Posted 03/25/2019   02:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
On the other hand . . . I've seen a lot of stamps fall out of bottom-sealed mounts which doesn't seem to happen with split-back mounts. The stamp is only held at the bottom, if it's held at all. While shoving a stamp's perforations down into the mount does generally hold the stamp, I'm always worried that this very thing will damage the perfs. I've also seen the glue used to hold the mounts on the album pages fail, but that's another issue entirely, and I suppose that can be fixed.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.83 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05