Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Huge Collection Of Unpicked Kiloware Bags....what To Do?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

21 Posts
Posted 05/04/2019   1:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add VaSteve to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
My father in law has a huge collection of stamps. Aside from the collection, he has amassed a quite a "collection" of unpicked sealed bags from B Schulze Stamps from Victoria Canada. Now closed and defunct.

What is the best way to sell this off, eBay? Another dealer, etc?

We have to go through the "good" part of the collection but this kiloware is stuff that he'd have gotten to one day and now we're tripping over it.

Please give me some ideas. I'm not a stamp collector myself, but very familiar with forums, the internet, etc. So that part doesn't intimidate me. :)
Send note to Staff

Learn More...
6786 Posts
Posted 05/04/2019   1:18 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome.
Your location is Mid-Atlantic East coast US? What is the estimated scope if the kiloware; poundage or tonnage?
Don
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
21 Posts
Posted 05/04/2019   1:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add VaSteve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I'm in the DC/Baltimore corridor.

I have not seen all this with my own eyes, but my wife has told me it'd fill up the bed of my pickup if we tried to move it.

I think it was all accumulated a little at a time and never opened or looked through. You know how that is.

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4144 Posts
Posted 05/04/2019   2:57 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The least painful way is to consign it to an auction house. If you have a little time, better to weigh, take a few decent photos and put on eBay as a number of consecutive lots over a period of months.
Edited by GeoffHa - 05/04/2019 3:19 pm
Valued Member
21 Posts
Posted 05/04/2019   7:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add VaSteve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
After much laboring through the files uploader, I have added some photos. This is what I'm dealing with. Just a very small collection of what the missus brought home. There's a ton more, this is a representative sample.

I've sold stuff on eBay before, but lately it's gotten expensive and for stuff like this I assume buzzwords and good photos are key, right? What buzzwords do I need to know? What's important to folks that buy stuff this way?

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4144 Posts
Posted 05/05/2019   02:06 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
How much time do you have on your hands? If I acquired these, and I had the time/inclination, I'd remove them from the packaging (the shop tags reduce the "hidden treasure" for the prospective buyer) and make up larger lots by weight. The photos don't have to be Robert Capa stuff - just a decent representation of what's there. The advantage with these is that, having previously been given some kind of sorting, you can be reasonably sure that the bags don't contain hundreds of copies of the same, common definitive.
Valued Member
United States
203 Posts
Posted 05/05/2019   03:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Louise411 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What is your goal and what is your hurry? Why don't you ask your father in law anyway? They are his stamps. Your tone is that of having a burden. These are his stamps. I do not like the tone. You married his daughter not his stamps. They seem well kept to me. If he chooses to he would know whom to contact. You are not trying to make quick money are you? thieves usually go for the electronics and haul them to the pawn shop. "The back of a pick-up truck?" What a sad and sordid posting. How low can you go?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1570 Posts
Posted 05/05/2019   03:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mike33 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Some pretty lame and silly assumptions there Louise
Valued Member
United States
203 Posts
Posted 05/05/2019   04:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Louise411 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No,
I have been robbed and they do usually go for the electronics and run them to the pawn shop.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
688 Posts
Posted 05/05/2019   05:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ringo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The guy's come here for sales advice and you accuse him of being a thief and being sordid?

Even if that were true, why would he start his post by telling us "my father in law has a huge collection"?

Please have a bit more respect.

Valued Member
United States
203 Posts
Posted 05/05/2019   06:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Louise411 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes Mister Ringo, I shall try to do better and be a good person.

Valued Member
21 Posts
Posted 05/05/2019   07:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add VaSteve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Like I said I'm not new to forums so differing opinions come as no surprise. Unfortunately this forum doesn't allow me to quote posts. To Louise: I was asked if I could quantify and a pick up truck bed full of boxes of bags is easier to describe than X number of tupperware tubs, right? As is being a burden? Well, this subforum is called " inherited some stamps, start here.." So I'm not the only one that's had a lot of stuff that was important to someone else to find a new home. My own father left tons of rare books behind and he left some instructions on who to call. After that was picked, many went to the library, or otherwise given away. My FIL's contacts have passed on like many in this hobby I presume. He hasn't passed yet, but it's only a matter of time...he told my wife where the good stuff is and there's no rush on that. So, I have offered to help out selling stuff that nobody's touched, nobody has any attachment to and folks are literally tripping over in a crowded house. Other families might just place in the trash - ask anyone that's had to clear out an estate, it's not pretty. I'm not sure I need to give that much explanation, but there you go.
Valued Member
21 Posts
Posted 05/05/2019   07:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add VaSteve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Geoff, thanks. I'm not clear it understand. My assumption was that the shop sold these as treasure hunts and the name of the shop and the tags would give it more legitimacy than "VaSteve Come Lately's eBay auction". Again, I don't know your hobby's ways...I've got other hobbies that have their own unique conventions. :)
Edited by VaSteve - 05/05/2019 07:49 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3086 Posts
Posted 05/05/2019   08:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Somebody is off of their meds.
Valued Member
21 Posts
Posted 05/05/2019   08:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add VaSteve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interestingly, as I do a little more looking at what's in these bags, they seem to be sorted by area. Of what I have in the above photo, a bag appears to be from Japan, one from Africa, the smaller bags from Europe. I assume that people's collections specialize in certain areas, themes, etc? My quick perusing of eBay seems to have things sorted in that manner as well.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4144 Posts
Posted 05/05/2019   08:20 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Steve - others may have different views, but my thought is that the mere fact of a stamp firm's packaging reduces the viewer's faith in there being any treasure there. If it's repackaged in bigger lots as "kiloware accumulated by a former collector", the faint prospect is still there.

The conventions around this stuff can be pure hokum - "collected by myopic nuns at the end of the Victorian age, entirely unsorted" etc.

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.03 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05