Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

1925 Surcharged In Red On Second Peking Printing 3 CTs On 4c Slate-gray, Surcharge Inverted Error

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

Hong Kong
16 Posts
Posted 06/05/2019   01:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add nelsonong to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Dear members,

I had recently got this particular Chinese junk stamp. And would like to know if it is genuine.

Please feel free to give me whatever advise you have.

Best regards,
Nelson
Send note to Staff
Edited by nelsonong - 06/05/2019 06:46 am

Pillar Of The Community
United States
578 Posts
Posted 06/05/2019   07:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gettinold to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
nelsonong

I'm hardly an expert on these but I'm posting another version of this stamp with surcharge. Note the difference in characters between my stamp and yours.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Hong Kong
16 Posts
Posted 06/05/2019   07:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nelsonong to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi gettinold,

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Nelson
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
198 Posts
Posted 06/05/2019   2:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Calstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

My four cents: Overprint forgery.
Valued Member
Hong Kong
16 Posts
Posted 06/05/2019   8:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nelsonong to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Calstamp,
Do you have a forgery copy to show me?
Thanks,
Nelson
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
198 Posts
Posted 06/05/2019   10:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Calstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Nelson...

I do not have a copy of a forged overprint to share with you. As originally issued or as your have posted with the inverted overprint. As you undoubtedly are aware, Scott cites a catalogue value of $275,000 USD for a (genuine) postally-used version of a good quality sample with the inverted surcharge. Aka Scott 274a.

Examining stamps via photos posted on the Internet can be problematic. The basis for my comment (suggesting a possible overprint forgery) includes many years' collecting experience, quick review of Varro Tyler's writings, review of Ma's Illustrated Catalogue of the Stamps of China (1998), and seeing/examining many copies of the base issue. However, this is not intended to convey a claim of expertise. But rather informed observation.

The shape and weight of the letter "c" on your stamp simply appears different (in my personal opinion) from the "upright" overprints I have "examined" first-hand. Same for the weight of some of the Chinese characters. However, given the catalogue value cited above, it may well be worth your time and money to submit your stamp for expertizing.

And now a little background, courtesy of the Ma catalogue...

"In November 1922, the Ministry of Communication decreed the increase in postage rate from three to four cents for domestic ordinary delivery. Prior to this, large quantities of four cent stamps were already printed. Although generally accepted, the new rate was vigorously opposed by the Governor of Chekiang Province. As a result of which the new rate was not enforced. The four cent stamps were thus becoming useless for the time. So order was given to overprint them with new value of three cents. The surcharge was made in two types; one in sheets of 100 stamps and the other in sheets of 120 stamps. The former was sold in Post Offices in small sheets of 50 stamps (10 x 5) and the latter in sheets of 40 (10 x 4).

The stamp is also known with inverted overprint." (Italics)

I hope you have discovered a genuine copy of Scott 274a. As we all will be able to say "we were there".

Cheers.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
578 Posts
Posted 06/05/2019   11:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gettinold to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nelson

On the PF website they have counterfeits and genuine. Here are images of the counterfeits

And here is image of a genuine overprint

If the PF certifies a stamp as counterfeit the fee is less than the price of a tank of gas. I've had a few stamps come back as counterfeits. Sometimes peace of mind is worth the fee. A stamp like that, if genuine, would need a certificate from a recognized expert in order to be offered at auction. I can not distinguish between the genuine and the counterfeits.
Edited by gettinold - 06/05/2019 11:13 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05