Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Canada Small Queen Stamps Printed On United States Ribbed Paper

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 872Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community

Canada
651 Posts
Posted 11/20/2019   07:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add jimjung to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here are two stamps that are printed on the Ribbed Paper more common on the US Issues of the late 19th Century? I believe. I have researched this on this site and there is a thread that shows examples of this type of paper:

http://goscf.com/t/61224&whichpage=1

Can someone who lknows about the US Ribbed Papers please comment on these? Thank you.

Send note to Staff
Edited by jimjung - 11/20/2019 08:01 am

Pillar Of The Community
7118 Posts
Posted 11/20/2019   11:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jimjung
Wish I could help you, but it will be interesting when experts chime in.

Robert
Now I will have to check my hundreds of 1 cent and 3 cent stamp..More work..haha
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by wert - 11/20/2019 11:43 am
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
651 Posts
Posted 11/21/2019   08:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jimjung to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Lawrence was the one who mentioned to me that a few SQ stamps were printed on this US Ribbed Paper. Not too much info on this but an expert on US Stamps may know the paper.

Trying to get a meeting with Lawrence at the VGG to check this out on the 6000.
Pillar Of The Community
7118 Posts
Posted 11/21/2019   08:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Trying to get a meeting with Lawrence at the VGG to check this out on the 6000.

Jimhung, if you get Lawrence there....And let us know what your investigation finds out...Would be very interesting what you guys find.
Post as soon as you get something.

Robert
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2318 Posts
Posted 11/26/2019   10:42 pm  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
While it may be appropriate to call it a ribbed paper of some sort, it does not appear to be the same paper as the Continental Bank Note Co. ribbed papers. You will never see even a hint of that diagonally oriented pattern caused by the paper machine wire that your stamps exhibit.
Pillar Of The Community
3288 Posts
Posted 11/27/2019   06:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These appears to be vertical, horizontal and diagonal lines. The vertical and horizontal lines appear much closer to each other. The diagonal lines appear farther apart. These stamps are known with horizontal or vertical mesh wove paper. Also, paper with laid lines on some stamp issues. On other issues, gum breakers/breaks/cracks are found which can be imparted into paper from gum and are visible even after gum has been removed as on used stamps.

LQ and SQ can be similar with regards to paper, perforations, etc. since they were made by the same printer around the same time.

For Large Queens Duckworth papers:

Paper 4
Stout horizontal wove paper with a somewhat yellowish tone and often with a faint diagonal ribbing. The design is often visible from the back. The impression of the design is sharp.

Paper 10
Stout horizontal wove paper that may exhibit diagonal ribbing similar to paper 4, but is white rather than yellowish and opaque, so that the design can not be seen from the back. It is the most common paper and all values can be found on this paper.

For previous discussion on this see:

http://goscf.com/t/43820
Edited by jogil - 11/27/2019 06:57 am
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
651 Posts
Posted 12/09/2019   08:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jimjung to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks All for the comments. The link leads to an older discussion with the same 3c stamp that I posted when I purchased this Small Queen collection from a UK Auction. This has come up again now that I found the 15c Large Queen with seemingly a similar paper. I will try to post a scan of the 15c LQ when I have a moment.
Pillar Of The Community
3288 Posts
Posted 12/09/2019   08:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What applies to LQ should also apply to SQ since both were printed by the same printer and have a period of common time overlap. Also, a perforation gauge has been put together that tries to cover all possible LQ and SQ perforations in the 11.5 to 12.5 gauge range.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
651 Posts
Posted 12/09/2019   10:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jimjung to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a possible explanation from BNA Topics Volume 57, Number 1, Jan-Mar 2000. Papermaking and its processing as related to large & small queens - Page 25

1 No two papermachines produce paper exactly in exactly the same fashion.
Differences will likely be observable if two different machines in the same
mill, or it two different mills produce the paper.

2 The fibres tend to line up in the machine direction making the paper
directional. The paper is designated machine direction (MD) and cross
machine direction (CMD). Printers refer to it as grain direction long and
grain direction short, and today they specify the direction. However, in
the period of the large and small queens, it did not make much difference
due to single sheet feeding.

3 Wire marks in form of diamonds may appear on the paper from the pa ....
per machine wire on the wire side, and from the dandy on the felt side.
Feltmarks can also appear as a result of the weave or newness of the felt.
These can appear as horizontal or diagonal marks. Deep felt marks have
often been described as ribbing.

This is during the papermaking so it doesn't account for the vertical ink lines in the background of the oval on my copy of the 3c Small Queen. For those lines to be created, this must have happened in the printing of the stamp, not the creation of the paper.

This may be the case for my 1c Small Queen as the vertical lines only seem to be part of the paper.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
426 Posts
Posted 12/21/2019   12:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi JimJung,
Have you determined Scott numbers for your two SQs? Or whether they are Ottawa or Montréal printings? I ask because I'd like to learn whether the paper you show is an example of the "high quality wove" paper that Unitrade says was used initially by both cities. Or are these examples of the paper that "appears closer to newsprint," which Montréal used later? I don't imagine yours are the "poor quality—more white" that Ottawa wound up using. And by the way, great scans.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 872Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05