Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Canada Bk Booklets - Odd Black Notch.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
6863 Posts
Posted 02/17/2020   10:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add wert to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Was going through my BK 77, 78,80, etc. booklets and I know they were printed in 2 colours, back/blue...But one had a back notch on one of the booklets...I have a lot of them, but only one has that notch.

Anyone have another, or why it is printed with the notch...Is it normal...??....Any help appreciated.

Robert

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
1277 Posts
Posted 02/17/2020   11:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gilles le timbre to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Robert,
I beleive the "notch" is a counter mark called a sealing strip --see Unitrade booklet 69d for an example. See also the box comment before BK 56 for BABN booklets 56 to 100, which refer to a counting mark appied every 50 booklets
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Gilles le timbre - 02/17/2020 11:44 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
595 Posts
Posted 02/17/2020   1:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jarnick to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, it is a counting mark. Booklets printed by the British American Bank Note Company had this mark on every 50th booklet to facilitate counting them for inventory. Unitrade prices them at 2.5 times a normal booklet.
Pillar Of The Community
6863 Posts
Posted 02/17/2020   1:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Gilles le timbre

Should have read a little deeper, yes counting mark..Every 50th booklet has that mark...Now I will have to start collecting those marks on booklets BK56---BK100.

Price is shown as 2.5 times value.

Thanks Gilles le timbre

Robert

jarnick..you type faster than me...haha
Edited by wert - 02/17/2020 2:03 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
835 Posts
Posted 02/17/2020   11:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Robert, here is a challanging one to find a counting mark on. It is the .57c sea otter / harbour porpoise issued May 13, 2010 jointly by Canada Post and Sweeden. The booklets had panes of stamps with a one or a two on them, some with serial "'s also. It is difficult enough to find one that has a counting mark on, it let one that also has a 1 and a serial # printed on the upper booklet margin. "Booklets" has yet to locate one as of last year. I was fortunate to find two. As well the location of the couning mark can be lighter or darker, not extend completly around, and also be found in a variety of different locations and also multiple marks as can be seen in the image below.
The "puzzler" had a thread on scf on this particular booklet issue and a link is below the picture with a lot of data.

Mike

http://goscf.com/t/8204

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05