Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

King George V Sideface Varieties

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 92 / Views: 2,134Next Topic
Page: of 7
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
562 Posts
Posted 10/01/2020   09:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another variety I'm looking for on the 4D denomination but haven't found yet is "(1)d - White spot on the G of AUSTRALIA" in position 1L1.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Australia
141 Posts
Posted 10/01/2020   9:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add langtounlad to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
itma

Something I noted but forgot to add to my post on the KGV 3d.

A much easier way of separating Dies 1a/1b and Die 2 is the numbers and words of value of the Die 2 are much thicker. Should save a few people some eye strain.

Regards
Frank
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
562 Posts
Posted 10/02/2020   09:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Frank:

Quote:
A much easier way of separating Dies 1a/1b and Die 2 is the numbers and words of value of the Die 2 are much thicker.

Thanks for this clarification. Personally, however, I always look for the value words first. To me, Die I/IA words come across as "stylish" while Die II is "artless" when seen without magnification and easier to identify if you don't have two or more to compare. I guess it's just an issue of our past histories.

Frank.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
562 Posts
Posted 10/05/2020   11:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The 1d Die II variety

The examples shown all come from the Rough paper issue of November 1916 (BW 72(1)i) and exists in all three cases where Plate 1 was used - BW 71(1)i, 72(1)i and 81(1)i.

Although usually described as a plate flaw, this is in fact a roller flaw. It is known to exist in the 20 positions of the second and third columns of Plate 1, Pane II, the last plate to be produced.

The flaw exists as a spur in the inside edge of the left value tablet's white border. the angle of the spur changed as the die was used, ranging from 20 to 68 degrees relative to the horizontal. In position 56 (bottom of second column), the flaw is "recumbent" and is evident only as a thickening of the white border, shown below. (I believe someone posted an image of this state a while ago.)

ACSC provides an illustration of all 20 instances of this flaw.

There appears to be an inconsistency in ACSC. They say that the impressions were rolled from the die to the plate working upwards on each column from column 1 to column 6. They also say that the projection on the die broke off after position 56 to "clear the form of the flaw". Unless I have seriously misread this statement (not an unknown occurrence), this suggests that the impressions were made downwards in each column, working from column 6 and progressing to the right to column 1. Of course, this is exactly the opposite from what ACSC says.

Edited by itma - 10/05/2020 11:59 am
Valued Member
Australia
141 Posts
Posted 10/06/2020   03:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add langtounlad to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is generally accepted that the Die2 flaw was caused by a sliver of metal getting onto the die and being pressed into the plate. Once a flaw is on a plate it becomes a plate flaw - the term roller flaw only describes the cause of the flaw.

There is nothing wrong with the ACSC explanation of how the die was rolled into the plate. The sliver of metal must have been pressed against the wall of the trough it sat in. That explains why its first appearance is as a thick area of white. As the die was moved to each following cliche, the sliver appears to have moved away from or released itself from the side of the trough until it separated itself from the die completely at the top of the second column it infected.

I think you have misunderstood the meaning of "the projection on the die broke off". I must admit is it not clearly explained in ACSC but as I have done a study of how the Kangaroo and Map dies were probably made and used it makes sense to me.

As an aside the term rolled was actually a rocking motion of the steel die in a specially designed hydraulic press.

I hope my explanation makes a bit more sense.

Regards
Frank
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
562 Posts
Posted 10/06/2020   08:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Frank. That makes sense. I guess I had assumed that the flaw was caused by die rather than extraneous material.

Frank.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
562 Posts
Posted 10/07/2020   1:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A couple of scratches on the 1d green BW 82

BW: 82(1)f and 82(4)r (SG 125 - varieties not listed)
Variety for (1)f: Scratch through oval from Kangaroos ear to King's nose. First appeared on 80(1)f.
Variety for (4)r: White scratch from beard to S.W. corner. Not present on previous 1d issues.
Date of issue: 2 October 1931 (earliest known use)
Wmk: Type 6 Crown/CofA (SG Type 15)
Position of 82(1)f: Plate I, Pane II, position 8
Position of 82(4)r: Plate 4, Pane VIII, position 45

82(1)f

82(4)r

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
562 Posts
Posted 10/08/2020   12:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This variety is from BW 76, the one and only violet issue of the 1d sideface and one of the many varieties affecting the crown.

BW 76(3)i (SG 57)
Variety: Broken top of crown
Perf: 14.25 x 14
Wmk: Type 2 second watermark (SG Type 5)
Issued: 12 February 1922
Position: Plate 3 Elwctio V, Position 38

This variety exists on BW 71 to 82, i.e. all issues of the 1d denomination other than the first (BW 70).

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
562 Posts
Posted 10/08/2020   12:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another variety from BW 76, Plate 3.

BW 76(3)n (SG 57)
Issued: 12 February 1922
Variety: Thinned left frame
Wmk: Type 2 Second watermark
Position: Plate 3, Electro VI, Position 22

Exists on all but the first issue (BW 70) of the 1d denomination, i.e. BW 72 to 82.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
562 Posts
Posted 10/09/2020   2:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This Die I 1d red - BW 89, Second Watermark - has a variety that is a bit of a mystery. There is a bar of design disruption though the entire height of the stamp as shown below. Also illustrated below is a high resolution scan of the back of the King's neck where the disruption seems to be most obvious. A scan of the same area on a normal stamp is shown in grey for comparison.

Here is a list of what I see as the major abnormalities, in order from the upper to lower frame:

1. Bulge upwards in the top of the upper frame.
2. Possible split in the upper frame.
3. Coloured and white flaws adjoining the N.E. of the King's head.
4. Thinning of the horizontal shading next to the King's neck.
5. Multiple breaks to two vertical shading lines of the King's neck.
5. Blurring of the red area above the final E of HALFPENCE. I can almost see shading lines here that correspond to the shading lines next to the right value tablet. (See third detail illustration below.)
6. Significant damage to the final E in HALFPENCE.

I find it difficult to see how these flaws could result from damage after the stamp had been printed.

Has anyone seen this before? Your comments are invited.
Valued Member
Australia
141 Posts
Posted 10/09/2020   4:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add langtounlad to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
itma

Show us a scan of reverse please.

Regards
Frank
Edited by langtounlad - 10/09/2020 4:53 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
562 Posts
Posted 10/09/2020   7:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Langtounlad:

Here is the reverse. I've included portions of the front, flipped horizontally, so that it is clear where the area in question and the specific features are..

I've also included an image of the vertical strip at the original 1200 dpi. From the watermark, the stamp appears be from the right margin of the pane - but not a corner position. The watermark is deeply embedded and can be felt quite easily by touch. The area in question is, however, well separated from the watermark.

Frank.

Edited by itma - 10/09/2020 7:47 pm
Valued Member
Romania
240 Posts
Posted 10/10/2020   12:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cupram to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I received a batch of 20 stamps where I try to find varieties. Unfortunately (this is a new field for me) I can't even identify them.
For example this 2c stamp:
-red brown
-Perf. 13.5 x 12.5
-Wmk. 203 (small Crown and A Multiple)
-I think Die I ?? (thin 2)
It can't be Scott # 70 (Die II) or Scott # 70a (perf.14)
What is the number of this stamp?
The number 2 on the left has a deformation at the bottom.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
562 Posts
Posted 10/11/2020   10:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, Cupram, I can't help you on this. For the 2d stamp I only have ACSC and nothing like this is listed. I know from experience that ACSC doesn't list all the varieties. If the 1d denomination is anything to go on, they only list about 20%.

So perhaps someone with better documentaion or with a similar unlisted variety can help.

Frank.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
562 Posts
Posted 10/11/2020   11:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a 4d variety.

BW 118h (SG 81, variety not listed)
Variety: Backward Q instead of O in FOURPENCE
Date of issue: 1 May 1924
Wmk: Type 2 Second watermark (SG Type 5)
Position: Electro I, Right pane, position 28

The detail image has been manipulated to make the variety more evident.

Page: of 7 Replies: 92 / Views: 2,134Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05