Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Carnegie Library PPCs?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 362Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1001 Posts
Posted 09/26/2020   10:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm kind of surprised no one has put out a thread on this topic yet. Andrew Carnegie was, without doubt, the person who brought libraries into the mainstream across the country. He personally funded more than 1,600 libraries in the U.S. between 1883 and 1929. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...nited_States

That time frame coincides with the golden age of picture postcards and I know there are a number of cards depicting Carnegie Libraries. I've seen some -- however, I don't own a single one. Who out there has some they can share?
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
372 Posts
Posted 09/26/2020   11:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A former boss of mine collected library postcards, he had somewhere around 4,500, many of which were Carnegies. For several states he had all the Carnegies, in multiple varieties. He believed his was the third largest collection, the largest belonging to a former director of a large public university in New England who had about 10,000. Both of these gentlemen are now deceased - dont know what happened to the collections.

The Carnegies were instant winners in the postcard business. Every town that got one was happy to promote their new civic edifice, often in some rivalry with other neighboring towns. And then after the first card was depleted, another ppc was done from another angle.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2976 Posts
Posted 09/26/2020   11:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Exterior views are indeed common. The challenge is to find interior views! Here is the Carnegie Library in Brazil, Indiana, opened in 1904, including 2 interior views. It is still in use today.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1001 Posts
Posted 09/27/2020   02:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, still in use as a library! That's unusual. We have three of these in our county that I know of and none are being used as libraries.
Valued Member
Canada
96 Posts
Posted 09/27/2020   08:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Wigeon44 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There were 125 Carnegie libraries built across Canada as well, with many of them in Ontario. This website depicts some in postcard form. https://www.aulik.info/carnegie-canada-ontario

The Cornish Library in Winnipeg is one of 3 Carnegies in my city and is undergoing an extensive renovation. It's still in use today as a popular historic library.
Valued Member
United States
141 Posts
Posted 09/27/2020   4:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BakerJ to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Carnegie Library in my hometown of Albia, Iowa opened in 1908. The original library is still in full use to this day. The link I provided here is a list of the Carnegie Libraries in Iowa. https://dsps.lib.uiowa.edu/clip/library/466/
I am sure you can find them for the other states as well.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
958 Posts
Posted 09/28/2020   12:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Click on a state to see the list for that state: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...nited_States

Not my postcard, but here's the Carnegie library in my hometown, Visalia, California. It opened in 1904 and was demolished in 1936, when it was replaced by the WPA building that I frequented when I was a kid.
Edited by erilaz - 09/28/2020 12:21 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2497 Posts
Posted 09/28/2020   09:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for including the wikipedia link, Erilaz.It seems Carnegie Libaries were built in four of the cities of the two California counties I collect. Looks like I'll be hunting for these. I've seen a few copies, un-used.

Ukiah and Willits, in Mendocino County are both still standing, but used for another purpose.

Eureka and Ferndale in Humboldt county are both still standing, Eureka was restored by the Humboldt Arts Council and is now the Morris Craves Museum of Art.

Ferndale is the only Carnegie Grant Library in northwestern California still functioning as a library!
Edited by littleriverphil - 09/28/2020 09:43 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2976 Posts
Posted 09/28/2020   10:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The architecture design of half a level underground and a flight of stairs to the main floor makes ADA compliance problematic these days without ramps or elevators - often retrofitted on the back side or through a modern addition to the building.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1001 Posts
Posted 09/28/2020   4:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Thank you for including the wikipedia link, Erilaz.

You mean like the one in my OP?

Quote:
Eureka and Ferndale in Humboldt county are both still standing, Eureka was restored by the Humboldt Arts Council and is now the Morris Craves Museum of Art.

As it happens, I stopped by both of those buildings in August while I was in the area. Unfortunately both were closed due to Covid.

Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 362Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05