Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Staples Heavy Duty Binder Vs Avery Heavy Duty Binder 1"

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 1,566Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3042 Posts
Posted 01/03/2021   6:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add apastuszak to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I prefer to house my collection in 1" binders. Makes the collection easier to go through.

I had been using Staples Better Binders for my collection. They're a little flimsy, but they worked for me.

Staples recently changed the rings in their Better Binder. They used to use ball and socket rings that looks like this:

Now they're using the older style rings that have what I call a "tooth enclosure".

So I'm on the quest for a new binder.

I bought a 1" Staples Heavy Duty Binder and a 1" Avery Heavy Duty Binder.

Avery used to be the gold standard in binders when I was kid. Now I'm not so sure.

The Staples binder seems more rigid than the Avery. When a I measure them with a caliper, the Staples binder was 3mm in thickness. The Averry binder was 2.65mm.

The Staples binder also had ball and socket D rings. The Avery had the older style D rings.

The Staples binder just feels more substantial to me than the Avery one does.
Send note to Staff
Free Ukrainian Stamp Album and modified Mystic Stamp Album Pages - http://www.stamphacks.com
Ukrainian Philatelic and Numismatic Society Member #1212: http://www.upns.org
Eire Philatelic Association Member #2869: http://www.eirephilatelicassoc.org/
Edited by apastuszak - 01/03/2021 7:39 pm

Pillar Of The Community
501 Posts
Posted 01/03/2021   10:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Casey Magoo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When I buy new I prefer classy binders with the leather look. I bought these on Amazon.ca and they were by 'Kleer Vu'. Typical D-ring with teeth but they have the executive look. I also have a lot of school type binders that are pretty boring but that's how they came.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Casey Magoo - 01/03/2021 10:52 pm
Pillar Of The Community
1097 Posts
Posted 01/04/2021   02:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'd stay away from school binders of the usual kind. They won't hold up over the years and they look cheap, if you ask me. They also typically don't come with a slipcase which is important to keep out dust and help deter insects who like paper. I don't like American three-ring binders much, myself, preferring European-style 22-ring binders when I use a ring binder. But of 3-ring binders, there are two types I find that are well made, and look sophisticated -- like an actual stamp album:

Scott's small green 3-ring Speciality binder. There's also a larger version of this same binder, but to me it's too big for comfortable use. To me, the larger version with its enormous rings looks like a warehouse receipt binder more than a stamp album. But I'll leave that up to you. I prefer the ease of picking up the smaller binder in one hand -- which you said you preferred. This binder fits nicely with other green Scott Specialty binders. It's clearly a stamp album binder, not a school notebook binder. There's a slipcase available -- but that costs extra.

Scott also sells a less expensive standard 3-ring binder. It's in black or blue vinyl. It's very well made, sturdy, and looks good. It's about 1-1.5" thick so it's easy to handle. It has a ring-opening lever which makes doing that easy. It sells for under $20, the best "standard" binder I've found by far -- and it comes with a slipcase which is pretty amazing. It's better than even the Lighthouse 3-ring binders a lot of people seem to like with the fancy padded covers. I think I've tried all of them, large and small. I find them disappointing in the quality of the rings and some (Vario F binder for one) have no ring-opening lever, so you actually have to pull open the rings which may be "retro" but is also really silly.

I'd use either of these 3-ring binders before I'd use office supply store binders. You can tell pretty quickly why those binders are cheaper, and they don't hold up well, so you end up buying replacements too often.

The pin-in-hole rings are hard to find anywhere, for some reason (costlier to make maybe). They're nice, but not essential, I think, if you're careful turning pages on the regular rings.

There are also binders with the rings mounted on the inside of the rear cover instead of the inner spine which seems to make page opening easier, but those are also not common.

It's hard to find a binder with all these things. Over the last few years, I've tried most of the popular ring binders, European and American, and most of the usual office-supply store binders, and among 3-ring American-style binders, the two Scott binders seem best to me and they're the most "stamp album-like" binders as far as I'm concerned.
Edited by DrewM - 01/04/2021 02:53 am
Valued Member
141 Posts
Posted 01/04/2021   10:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tsmatx to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I second recommendation for Amos 'Universal 3-Ring Binder with Slipcase' especially if you like 1", it is beautiful, tasteful/minimal style, and durable binder. I just wish they made 2"-3". I got some Avery binders on Amazon and they are just flimsy junk--may try Staples. Also experimenting with BCW and Ultra-Pro (which are mainly for sports cards) but the blank versions without baseball player on cover.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2623 Posts
Posted 01/04/2021   7:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I use these Avery binders. They're not particularly classy-looking, but I needed something that would withstand the movers every 2 years, and they'll take a beating. Here's the ring type.

In multiple moves with them, I've never had one get out of alignment. I also really like the one-touch open feature super easy to open the rings. If my measurement is correct, they're 4mm thick (this is a 3" - no idea of the 1" is thinner).
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Pillar Of The Community
1097 Posts
Posted 01/05/2021   02:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Those look like good binders. It's worth noting that there's a difference between binders used primarily for storage and binders as actual stamp "albums". The former can be large as long as they're built tough. They can even have those tall rectangular rings since those hold a lot more pages. The rings shown on these Avery binders look very good, especially since thay have a straight side. I think they're call "D-rings" for that reason.And the ring closure with the pins may be sturdier than the jagged system used on most rings. If they're well built, they look like they'll last.

On the other hand, Lighthouse has a large binder with tall rectangular rings which I tried. For what I wanted it was a disaster. The problem was that to just turn a page, I had to lift each page up the one straight side of the "ring," over the top, and then down the other straight side fairly slowly. The idea of a stamp album is that you turn the pages like a book, not like you're turning receipts in a binder filled with bills of lading. The LH binder would be good for storage, though, since it holds so many pages. So be aware of what use you want to make of the binders you buy.
Edited by DrewM - 01/05/2021 02:10 am
Valued Member
United States
70 Posts
Posted 01/07/2021   10:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dbuss to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are different grades of Avery binders. The same goes for Staples binders. The following Avery binder works very well for me (it is available in a variety of sizes):

Avery Heavy-Duty Framed View 3-Ring Binder, 1" EZD Rings, 1 Navy Blue Binder (68055)

I broke down my Minkus Supreme Global album 1840 to 1952/54 into to 8 separate Avery binders to make handling the albums much more manageable. Unfortunately the Avery albums do not come in slip cases.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3042 Posts
Posted 01/08/2021   09:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add apastuszak to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Binder shopping for me has always been very frustrating. I can find binders that I like the look of in a lot of stores. Ones that have a nice rigid cover, or a faux leather cover that's thick and padded. And they always end up having the cheapest rings possible. Trying to find a "fancy" binder with ball and socket rings is next to impossible.

I used the Staples "Better Binder" for quite a long time. They're not very sturdy, but they can take a beating. I bought a bunch for my kids when they were still in grade school. Now I have a senior in high school and a sophomore in college, and all the binders are still in great shape. I think having the cover a little on the floppy side helps preserve them, because they can flex under the pressure of being crunched, instead of having the cardboard cover bend out of shape. That makes me them really good for school bags. Not so good for putting on shelves.

But when I go into Staples now, their Better Binders are a mix of the ball and socket enclosures, and tooth enclosures. I think Staples dumped the ball and socket rings to save costs.

The Avery binders all have tooth rings now (at least their heavy duty line).

I'm wondering if the ball and socket rings have been discontinued by their manufacturer.

The two binders I used to use were the Nakedbinder and the Bindertek binder. The Nakedbinder was a great idea, since it was made with 100% recycled parts. The cover was sturdy. But the rings were incredibly cheap. They were using recycled rings, and since ball and socket rings are rather new, they're not available recycled.

Bindertek makes a great binder, but their 1" binders no longer use ball and socket rings, which is kind of annoying.
Free Ukrainian Stamp Album and modified Mystic Stamp Album Pages - http://www.stamphacks.com
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3042 Posts
Posted 01/08/2021   11:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add apastuszak to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
To add to the discussion, I went to Office Depot today and bough the [in]PLACE 1" heavy duty binder.

https://www.officedepot.com/a/produ...y-Duty-View/

The [in]PLACE rings are identical to the Staples rings. And the two binders look identical. But the [in]PLACE binder has a slightly thicker cover. But the binder is slightly narrower than the Staples or Avery binder. So, if you're using Scott paper, this binder may not work for you. I just put a Minuteman sheet in both binders, and the Staples binder has plenty of room for the page. The Office Depot binder is a different story. The page sits EXACTLY to the edge of the binder.

I have an Avery Heavy Duty Framed View Binder coming in tomorrow. Once that comes in and I get a good look at it, I'll take some pictures of all of them and post them.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3042 Posts
Posted 01/10/2021   12:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add apastuszak to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Avery Framed View Binder came in and it wins, hand down. It has ball and socket rings. The cover is thicker and more rigid than any of the other albums. The framed view on the cover is very nice. I'll try to post some pictures tonight or tomorrow. Today is grocery shopping/laundry day, so it's a bit busy. And my wife isn't 100% recovered from COVID yet, so I'm still doing a lot of the heavy lifting.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 1,566Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05