Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Thailand, Revenues Occupation Of Malaya Trengganu 1943-1945

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 357Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
142 Posts
Posted 06/15/2021   12:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add jossanders52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Another lot which originated from the Grosvenor sales of Jim Czyl bought some 8 years ago.

It is a complete set of revenue stamps, printer not sure but could be the State Printing press in Kata Bahru Kelantan.
Used copies of this set are extremely rare, with only 2 documents recorded and 4 used stamps recorded.

The set mint sells for $1000 ++ and the documents sold in auction for $5,000+++. All stamps shown are from my own collection

Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32535 Posts
Posted 06/15/2021   06:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Fabulous post Jos
was only yesterday, researching these...... serendipity !
Lovely collection.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
142 Posts
Posted 06/15/2021   07:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jossanders52 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rod thanks. Some more eye candy, rare!

Valued Member
United States
142 Posts
Posted 06/15/2021   07:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jossanders52 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Used on complete document. Not my document
Learn More...
9493 Posts
Posted 06/15/2021   07:38 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great threads Jos, should help some of the folks who may have forgotten the educational value of our hobby!
Thank you very much for posting.
Don
Valued Member
United States
142 Posts
Posted 06/15/2021   11:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jossanders52 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The study of Thai Occupation revenues of Northern Malaya (Trengganu, Kelantan, Kedah and Perlis) during 1943-1945 is not easy.
The general lack of interest in collecting revenues in the years after WW2, combined with the scarcity of available material did not help in the dissemination of any knowledge on the subject.

In the start of this tread, I show the Trengganu ship revenue set of 15 stamps with margins, I obtained in a sale of some of Jim Czyl's material 8 years ago.
Together with the set was the typed note shown below. I do not know who typed the note (Jim?) but the note could be from the 1950's
Now with the internet available, studying unknown stamps is becoming so much easier, even if direct knowledge on the stamps do not exist. Also printing records have never been uncovered up till now.

Some analyses of the typed note.
1. Between the 2 value tablets on the bottom of the stamps is clearly stated "Trengganu Revenue" Trengganu is a state in Malaysia at the east coast bordering the South China Sea)
2. The top line of the stamp shows Thai language, clearly indicating a Thai occupation stamp.
The Occupation by the Japanese of Sarawak started Dec 16, 1941 end ended with the British troops surrender on April 1, 1942
The 4 Malayan northern states were ceded by the Japanese to Thailand on October 18, 1943. The ship stamps were printed I guess in 1944. The few used samples show cancellation dates between June 1944 and September 27, 1945.
3.The Japanese troops in Malaya never destroyed any stamp stocks. They needed taxes urgently to support their war. Lots of pre-war Malayan stamps (mainly postal) were overprinted with Japanese characters and or surcharged to the great delight of collectors of Japanese occupation stamps.
4. On the note its stated that a Janet van den Berg found the stamps in Tokyo. I have some other items acquired in Japan and I believe that at the tumultuous end of the war in 1945, some material ended up in Japan.
5. I wished Janet van den Berg had bought for me in Tokyo a large bunch of sets. The $0.75 she paid is quite lower than the $1000++ per set at this moment
Valued Member
United States
142 Posts
Posted 06/15/2021   11:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jossanders52 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I did write a very comprehensive article on the Thai Occupation of Northern Malaya.
This article was published in:
The Malayan Philatelist, August 2019
Journal of the British Revenue Society, September 2019
Journal of the Thailand Philatelic Society, The Thai times December 2019

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32535 Posts
Posted 06/16/2021   10:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Non Philatelic.

Quote:
was only yesterday, researching these...... serendipity !

I am having a strange serendipitous time lately,
Yesterday morning, going through the supermarket register,
I picked up a receipt someone had apparently just tossed on the floor.
(I can't help myself, always pick up rubbish)

I handed it to the lass on the till, and she unfolded it
there was $50 note inside.

As I was there at opening time, she deduced the receipt was from
the purchase for the school canteen.
I trust the note got back from whence it came.
Valued Member
United States
142 Posts
Posted 06/19/2021   09:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jossanders52 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just listed on eBay some 15 lots of the Trengganu ship revenue stamps like described in above threads

https://www.ebay.com/itm/373616499963

Some of the stamps listed

Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 357Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05