Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Hong Kong Stamp Cancel Or Registration Number

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 260Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
52 Posts
Posted 10/11/2021   1:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add sharons25 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello fellow collectors!

I have a Hong Kong stamp that has numbers across it. I am trying to determine what they mean or signify can anyone help me?

Thank you and have a nice day!!
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7657 Posts
Posted 10/11/2021   1:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Could it have been used as a revenue stamp of sorts?

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
407 Posts
Posted 10/11/2021   11:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Linus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sharons25

Nice stamp, and thanks for starting this thread.

I was hoping somebody would answer your question by sharing a similar stamp on a document or cover showing how your stamp was used, because I have had the exact same question for years now.

I am not 100% sure what the numbers mean.

I have three examples in my Hong Kong collection, but lacking the full documents, the context is lost by just looking at the stamps. Most likely, as Peter said, it is some sort of revenue usage, but I would like to see for sure how it was used and what the numbers mean.

Here are my three examples, plus another example snipped from a large online collection, all similar to your stamp. I have seen other examples in collections for sale on eBay.

Sorry I cannot help you more than this.

Linus

Pillar Of The Community
United States
637 Posts
Posted 10/11/2021   11:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billsey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They are all revenue usages, but I'm not sure what the significance of the numbers are, perhaps docketing numbers?
Edited by billsey - 10/11/2021 11:44 pm
Valued Member
United States
407 Posts
Posted 10/12/2021   12:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Linus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I even asked the late Clive Smyth, aka Ningpo on SCF, about these numbers back in 2015. He was a member of The Hong Kong Study Circle in the UK, and even he was not 100% sure what they meant. He thought these postage stamps were used as a "receit" function. I tend to agree with him.

I bought a paperback book for my reference library, titled: "The Hong Kong Fiscal Stamps" by Frits G. Huygen. On page 113 of this book, in the section on Receit Stamps, it mentions that King George VI postage stamps were used as revenue stamps, but does not show or discuss the stamps as shown above with numbers.

Linus

Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
710 Posts
Posted 10/12/2021   03:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Johan Buvelot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I do not have a Hong Kong example. But ik can show a Dutch example.

It is a 15 cent stamp used as handling charge for a money receipt. The "postmark" used shows how either letters or numbers can sometimes be found on stamps. The postage stamp on itself would not make a lot of sense. But seen on a document it does give a got idea. As I said not a Hong Kong example. But I do believe pretty common use back then around the world.

These stamps were often put on larger documents which are not the easiest to collect. That is why many were taken of the document and can be found as a single stamp.

Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 260Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.13 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05