Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

British Honduras Sg37A, Scott 28A On Cover

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 531Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community

United States
648 Posts
Posted 12/02/2021   01:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add danko to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Is there a chance this is genuine? Looks sketchy to me.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
771 Posts
Posted 12/02/2021   01:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billsey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nope, obviously a favor cancel of some sort.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
35847 Posts
Posted 12/02/2021   01:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another AIKMAN Bisect.
What is the supposed alpha numeric, in the OP image

Edited by rod222 - 12/02/2021 02:00 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2860 Posts
Posted 12/02/2021   07:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In the OP, I believe that's an O:

not my stamp

Town unknown to me; guessed to be Orange Walk by H.H. Heins in Numeral Cancellations of the British Empire. There is similar coded C killer, but that is a wider character. No G or S killer. No special killer reported for Belize (City) except the standard AO6.

EDIT: Definitely an O. From eBay, where there are several Aikman covers of various kinds. There's even one with a C killer, also used from Belize:

So, your choice of fakes, it appears(?). Where was the real bisect used and when was it used?
Edited by hy-brasil - 12/02/2021 07:46 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5975 Posts
Posted 12/02/2021   10:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
All fakes ......I think I have one or two of those covers ......picked them up years ago at Rasdale Stamps Auctions ....came in junk boxes .
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
35847 Posts
Posted 12/02/2021   3:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks HB,
I was aware of "C" and "AO6" then was lost.

Strange that HEIMS calls his work "Numeral" cancels ?
When he includes Alpha, that's when I stopped looking.

Opinion : Fakes, I saw 4 others in dealers varying from $60 upwards.

If HEIMS considers them with a "?" then suddenly we see 6-12 bisects, red flags arise.
Also, I was circumspect at the scalpel like precision bisect cuts.

Edited by rod222 - 12/02/2021 3:37 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
35847 Posts
Posted 12/02/2021   5:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Solved.
Philatelically Inspired.

Postal History of Belize
Author E.W.King

W.G.Aikman story

Edited by rod222 - 12/02/2021 5:45 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
648 Posts
Posted 12/02/2021   10:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danko to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all so much. That is what I thought. Just wanted to get a second opinion from more knowledgeable people.

It just occurred to me that the catalog refers to a single bisect on cover to be used for 1 cent franking, since there was no 1 cent stamp issued at that time. Were there actually any that were used for 3 cents franking? There was 3 cent stamp available, so there was no need for a bisect.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
648 Posts
Posted 12/02/2021   10:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danko to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rod

Fantastic info. Thank you so much.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5975 Posts
Posted 12/02/2021   11:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bisect created by a stamp collector and not authorised or issued by the Post Office EQUALS a fake and he issued hundreds of them !
Pillar Of The Community
United States
771 Posts
Posted 12/02/2021   11:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billsey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
But it sounds like the bisect was allowed during the changeover. He just got a lot of them favor cancelled, and got the clerk to make some specials as well. The specials count as fakes, but a bisect with the correct rate should be valid, just obnoxiously philatelic.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2860 Posts
Posted 12/02/2021   11:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Danko wrote:

Quote:
Were there actually any that were used for 3 cents franking?

See the image noted as "Illustration 11". But if the PO could resurcharge the existing 3c on 3d stamps, it means they had plenty of 3c stamps on hand. See below also.

I agree with Billsey, obnoxiously philatelic.

I keep forgetting that Robson Lowe BNA does include British Honduras and here is the note from that:
EDIT: This note follows Scott 20a, SG 27c though I rather suspect is applicable to Scott 28a, SG37c

So that 110 Gibbons price for the bisect on cover (wrapper) then is for non-Aikman provable postally used wrappers.

Aside from floortrader's and other ones residing in forgery collections, are all the rest now sitting on eBay or waiting to be listed there? Yipe, there are a lot there.
Edited by hy-brasil - 12/03/2021 03:25 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
35847 Posts
Posted 12/03/2021   12:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting further Information, thanks HB!

Quote:
Robson Lowe BNA does include British Honduras

Noted.

Perhaps the 2c overprints were made by Metzgen not Aikman.
Edited by rod222 - 12/03/2021 12:43 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2860 Posts
Posted 12/03/2021   04:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
See correction/amplification above. Below Lowe's listing of Scott 28a (SG37c), the note given is only that the 2c bisected are common. So I'm getting confused again. Whatever the case, the Aikman items are still obnoxiously philatelic.

Robson Lowe says that the O killer was used by Belize (City) and pictures a cover elsewhere showing that.

Aikman's grubby paws are found throughout the period. Lowe notes surcharge trials of Scott 26 (SG 35) in black only and the 2-colors as issued. Of the 9 surviving examples of each, Aikman had 8 of each and also initialed them. For Scott 33b (SG 43b), the "6" inverted resurcharge, Lowe notes only six each in black and in red were made and are found used on Aikman covers addressed to foreign destinations. Lowe asks "why?" only six each were printed, but we can all guess the answer. With all these shenanigans, it's easy to suspect postmaster McKinney, in that office since 1860, was thoroughly involved.

There is an additional mention of clerk Metzen sending strips of 4 of surcharge essays (reading "SIX" and not "6") of Scott 33 and 34 (SG 43 and 44) on registered covers to Scott Stamp & Coin(!)
Edited by hy-brasil - 12/03/2021 04:05 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
35847 Posts
Posted 12/03/2021   04:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great stuff HB
Saved.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 531Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05