Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help Id-Ing When Spanish Letter Was Sent

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 830Next Topic  

United Kingdom
4 Posts
Posted 02/17/2022   07:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add WiredMag2022 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello,

I'm a journalist with WIRED magazine, and I need some help identifying when a letter was sent, if that is possible.

Below are two images of the stamps / postmarks. The letter was supposedly sent on February 02, 2022. I know the stamp (of Juan Carlos I) was first issued in 2002 and Juan Carlos abdicated in 2014, so they may no longer be in common use although I am not sure of that.

Is it possible to tell from these images when the letter was sent?

Very happy to provide any extra info if needed. Thank you for your help!

Matt
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
67 Posts
Posted 02/17/2022   07:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mljespe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You can try this website to create an account and then use to try to see the stamps thru various color variations (it may help).

http://retroreveal.org/
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
1505 Posts
Posted 02/17/2022   08:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@WiredMag2022,

If this was sent by a stamp dealer, it would not be strange for this dealer to sit on a large stock of Juan Carlos I stamps and using it for postage.

The amount of postage suggests this item was recorded. Is there any barcoded label on the item? You might try track-and-trace pages of Correos, Royal Mail and the UPU to see if they still show the handling of the item.
Edited by NSK - 02/17/2022 08:13 am
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1227 Posts
Posted 02/17/2022   08:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is postmarked Feb 02 from Barcelona and the style of postmark is current. I just received mail from Spain & the postmark used is identical in style (and also used older stamps, as it came from a catalogue publisher). Hope that helps.
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
1505 Posts
Posted 02/17/2022   08:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
To add: €1 and other high-value stamps with the efigy of King Felipe VI were issued on 19 January 2015. So, it is unlikely the stamps, recently, were bought from a post office. But that does not rule out an individual or company acquired stock of old stamps to use for postage from someone who wanted to sell off surplus stock.
United Kingdom
4 Posts
Posted 02/17/2022   11:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add WiredMag2022 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the help everyone!

@NSK That's a great point about the barcode. I'll see if I can find one.
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
1505 Posts
Posted 02/17/2022   12:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If I remember correctly. the Spanish ones start with 'RF' and also state the date of registration.
Valued Member
Spain
354 Posts
Posted 02/17/2022   2:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Roberto59 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello.
The date of cancellation of the stamps is the date on which it enters the Post Office.
Any stamp with a value in euros is valid. I still have many JCI stamps of 0.01 - 0.02 - 0.05 - 0.10 €
Regards.

Valued Member
Spain
354 Posts
Posted 02/18/2022   6:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Roberto59 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello.
The letter is not registered.
The €10.55 rate corresponds to an ordinary letter of more than 100 gr. and less than 500 gr. as of 01-01-22
Regards.

Pillar Of The Community
2246 Posts
Posted 02/19/2022   02:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cursus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The cover was, actually sent from "SUC." = "Sucursal" (Catalan for "Branch")of the post office. This is located on the Barcelona (Catalonia's capital) Passeig de Sant Joan, 196 (Catalan for "196, Saint John's Boulevard") on the district of Grΰcia, Barcelona. Not far from where I live!
United Kingdom
4 Posts
Posted 02/19/2022   10:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add WiredMag2022 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@Roberto59 – thank you for the helpful message.

This letter was sent from Spain to the UK which I think is in Zona 1, so shouldn't it cost less than €10.55? Or perhaps the weight was higher?
Valued Member
Spain
354 Posts
Posted 02/19/2022   5:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Roberto59 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, I thought you were writing from the USA.
I have rates since 2016 and there is no other coincidence, neither ordinary nor registered.
United Kingdom
4 Posts
Posted 02/19/2022   7:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add WiredMag2022 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@Roberto59 Thank you for the useful tables!

Is it possible that the stamp on the bottom left is a 0.10 Euro, not a 0.50?

If so, that would make the value of the letter €10.15, which would correspond with the 2018 price of a registered 100-500g letter to zona 1.

I suppose in that case there would definitely be a barcode sticker on the envelope somewhere?

What do you think?
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
1505 Posts
Posted 02/20/2022   02:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@WiredMag2022,

The €1 stamp, at least, appears to have the silver value and crown. Looking at the scans, I am tempted to say the other stamps also have the silver value and crown. These are from the 2002 - 2006 set. This did not have a 0,50€ value. The set with gold crown and value that was issued between 2007 and 2011 did. This was issued 4 February 2011 and had a bright blue primary colour like the 0,05€ in your scan.

The stamp at the bottom left, indeed, is the 2 January 2002 greyish green and silver 0,10€ (nr. 3859) stamp.

I think you are correct and the stamps add to 10,15€.

Your posts suggest you do not have this item at hand. If indeed registered, there may be a white label, usually on the front of the cover, with a barcode. Above the barcode should be the date of registration.
Edited by NSK - 02/20/2022 03:30 am
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
1505 Posts
Posted 02/20/2022   02:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They look like the one below reads 'carta certificada' (top left on the labels).

Edited by NSK - 02/20/2022 03:00 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 830Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05