Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Simple USPS Print Quantity Question

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 814Next Topic  
Valued Member

430 Posts
Posted 04/08/2022   4:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Torin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am probably overcomplicating this, but how does one determine exactly how many panes are issued by the USPS?

For example according the USPS website, there were 35 million Edmonia Lewis stamps printed. Does this simply equate to 1,750,000 panes of 20 that were printed?

Similarly, according to the USPS website, there were 30 million Title IX stamps printed. Does this mean 30 million of each design were printed (since there are 4 different designs in each pane) or 30 million total, and does this equate to 1,500,000 panes of 20 printed?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9039 Posts
Posted 04/08/2022   5:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In the case of Title IX, you would divide the print quantity by four to get the number for each design.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
202 Posts
Posted 04/12/2022   01:54 am  Show Profile Check stampCat7's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add stampCat7 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You divide the number of stamps issued by the size of the pane if you want to know how many panes were printed. If the stamp has more than one design divide the number of total printing by the number of designs to get the quantity of each individual stamp.
Edited by stampCat7 - 04/12/2022 02:20 am
Valued Member
United States
108 Posts
Posted 06/30/2022   8:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bmbmbm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Question on a similar topic:
Where on the USPS website can I find print quantities for USPS stamps? Are there other websites that contain this information as well? Also, where would one find how many stamps were destroyed, if one wanted to get an idea of how many of a design were "in circulation"? Better yet, is there also information about Quantity Sold available?

For example: Scott #5430 Grand Island Ice Caves $26.35 Express mail stamps, issued in 2020
Where could one find printing quantities/sold quantities etc. for this stamp?

Thanks!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9039 Posts
Posted 06/30/2022   9:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For some reason print quantities are a tough nut to crack. In the past Linn's had to submit a FOIA request to get quantities. A USPSOIG 2007 report found that several BILLION stamps more than were needed were printed in just one year and subsequently destroyed but did not break it down by issue. IMO the USPS does not really know. Try finding data from the Stamp Service Centers or Stamp Distribution Centers. Next to impossible. Like any obese governmental organization nothing is simple.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3088 Posts
Posted 06/30/2022   10:45 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Initial quantities ordered are in the Postal Bulletin (reprint quantities do ngiven.ot appear there). Quantities destroyed are rarely out.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1500 Posts
Posted 07/01/2022   12:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Better yet, is there also information about Quantity Sold available?

Of course there is the "Quantities Issued, Commemorative Stamps" section in the Scott US Specialized Catalog.

Out of curiosity, why the interest in the quantities sold for the specific examples you mention?
Valued Member
United States
108 Posts
Posted 07/01/2022   02:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bmbmbm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rogdcam, thanks for the information. Yes, that definitely seems like a waste!

eyeonwall, thanks for the direction! Sometimes one just needs to dig around, and type the right search words into google.
I actually found the information in multiple places now!

For the information of others:

Here's the USPS Bulletin link for the specific stamp I asked about, and it does include information like Print Quantity.
https://about.usps.com/postal-bulle...info_009.htm
Print Quantity for Scott #5430 Grand Islands Express Mail stamp is 1,260,000 stamps

I also found the information (looks like it came from an amalgamation of Postal Bulletins) on the Virtual Stamp Club website:http://virtualstampclub.com/lloydblog/?p=9864
There appears to be this type of information for other stamps as well.

Surprisingly enough, Mystic Stamp Company's individual stamp listings appear to have this information as well, which is could be nice for searching! https://www.mysticstamp.com/Product...es/5430/USA/

Parcelpostguy, Thank you! Yes, I've seen that section in my Scott US Specialized, but it doesn't include quantities for Priority and Express mail stamps. I was interested in Quantities Sold as it seems it's the nearest proxy to getting the number of stamps "in circulation", as I'm curious just how scarce used priority and express mail stamps really are.

I'm trying to get all the modern Priority and Express mail stamps, USED, with a circular cancel showing usage in the right time period (before the next priority/express mail rate hike) if I can. It is fairly challenging, to say the least. Most of the time, it's more of a matter of even finding a nice used one in the first place. Some are very difficult to find used!

I realize Quantity Sold wouldn't completely match Quantity Used, as there could be Mint stamps sitting around unused, as well as some used stamps that were thrown away on mail packaging, but if the information were available it'd probably be the best indicator. High denomination Express mail stamps don't seem to get much use. With printed labels being the first choice(easiest) for postal workers, and USPS not doing an automatic push distribution to Post Offices for it (according to the bulletin)(I think meaning the Post Office would have to specially order it to have it in stock) I can't imagine very many were distributed, sold, and used (especially in the right time period). I'd guess under 50% were sold, and it's probably far lower than that. Anyone have an different idea on quantities sold?
Learn More...
United States
10967 Posts
Posted 07/01/2022   03:35 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stamp Smarter has quantity printed (along with much much more 'Details') for all US stamp 1847 thru 2019
https://stampsmarter.org/features/Id_US_RegA.html
Note: I did not have some Qty Printed for in the most modern period (2016-2019). If anyone has these in a list or spreadsheet and is willing to share please let me know.
Don
Valued Member
114 Posts
Posted 07/03/2022   12:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chris s to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Simplest answer is the USPS site does provide information on the planned number to be produced in the Production Specifications --- basically reprints what is given in the Postal Bulletin. When you click on the stamp scroll down to More Information and below the Description box you will see the Product Specification box. Click to get planned production amount.

For past issues, I believe you could search for past Postal Bulletins on the USPS site but I am unsure how many years back they post.

As youa re collecting used Priority Mail and Prirority Mail express (and I understand your quandary --- very hard to find one in good shape with a cancel showing clearly their use, I got the 2013 lightly used from an eBay seller who had a few of them.

https://store.usps.com/store/produc...reinfofooter

Here's the rub, when I started collecting just 2 years ago, the Product Specs seems to remain on the site until the stamp was no longer on sale online. But I noticed recently that information may be removed while it remains on sale at the USPS site.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1500 Posts
Posted 07/07/2022   2:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Parcelpostguy, Thank you! Yes, I've seen that section in my Scott US Specialized, but it doesn't include quantities for Priority and Express mail stamps. I was interested in Quantities Sold as it seems it's the nearest proxy to getting the number of stamps "in circulation", as I'm curious just how scarce used priority and express mail stamps really are.

I'm trying to get all the modern Priority and Express mail stamps, USED, with a circular cancel showing usage in the right time period (before the next priority/express mail rate hike) if I can. It is fairly challenging, to say the least. Most of the time, it's more of a matter of even finding a nice used one in the first place. Some are very difficult to find used!

Of the stamps used much is used as business mail which is not saved in large quantities and for international express mail, it is sitting overseas when saved. Next the issue is that the indicated location on the envelopes for the stamp's placement was over the "tear-line" for opening the envelope. Thus when someone pulled the tab strip to open the envelope, it tore the stamp in to two or three pieces. Lastly not too many folks collect large envelopes which is how the stamps were correctly used most of the time.

Next consider that sound high value used stamps are likely saved at a higher rate than sound lower denomination stamps. Yet as the price rises, fewer collectors choose to buy such "expensive" stamps and demand drops.

That said I have no illusion that finding the stamps used in the manner you desire will be easy nor inexpensive, especially with the demand for a dated SON cancel.

One question, are you excluding used stamps which show a first day of use cancel? Those are not difficult to find and can be relatively inexpensive. Buy a FDC and soak (gummed) or trim (self adhesive) the stamps from the cover.

However, if you are chasing and find the preprinted stamps as complete envelopes (e.g. PFRE Star Wars Express envelopes) do not trim those postal stationary items down.

Going forward you can, yourself, mail the stamps properly used to someone who returns it to you. Maybe a bit more of a challenge for the international rate stamps. You can also find a clerk who either cancels the stamp as you wish or allows you the wield the cancellation device. Such is called controlled mail and has been done for a dozen or more decades.

Lastly remember these stamps you are chasing while high value corresponding to a particular rate they were NOT service specific stamps and could also be used to pay the fees associated with registered mail for example or postage on heavier packages of first or fourth class (or whatever the name of the day might be) matter.

Happy hunting. You are chasing some of the so-called gems of modern philately.
Valued Member
United States
108 Posts
Posted 08/01/2022   02:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bmbmbm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Parcelpostguy, thanks for the response! Sorry for the radio silence. With vacations, etc., I never got back to answering this thread.

You make some good points about supply and demand. I guess it results in low supply, and low-ish demand for the stamps?

Yeah, finding them has not been easy. By carefully watching and waiting, I've managed to find a fair amount of them at pretty good prices. But it has taken a while, and I still have some holes. Having a dated SON cancel is not a demand for me, but more a "nice to have" if I can find it. I can't be too picky with what's available.

Yes, I'm excluding stamps with a First Day of Use cancel. It feels like "cheating", as they're not truly used, which is probably why they're cheaper and easier to find. They seem like more of a philatelic souvenir sold by the Post Office. For high-denomination self-adhesive stamps, I have started "soaking" them off with Ronsonol. Usually, they were used on cardboard boxes or paperboard envelopes, and those materials don't seem "archival-quality". At least cardboard is considered acidic, so it seems like it could eventually damage/discolor the stamps if the stamps are left on it. I imagine paperboard could be acidic as well.

So far, I haven't tried going after the preprinted priority/express mail stamps, probably because I never see them. I remember seeing one cut square recently online, but that's it. The use of priority/express preprinted envelopes is probably even rarer than the use of priority/express self-adhesive stamps, considering how few preprinted regular mail envelopes are used compared to regular self-adhesive stamps. I do see some preprinted regular mail envelopes occasionally, but not often. I do try to keep them as whole covers.

Recently, I have been doing as you said: using the current stamps in mailings to relatives who can return them to me.

Yes, I realize priority/express stamps can be used to pay postage for any heavier packages. In fact, that's where I'm always using them. I never need to mail an envelope by the Priority or Express mail service. Usually, I'm using the stamps on a heavy box being mailed for a birthday/holiday/etc. Problem is, I rarely, if ever, need to mail a box large enough or heavy enough to use an express mail stamp, so I have to look for them elsewhere.

For work, we use FedEx to ship large, heavy boxes to the UK. When the shipments cost $500 or so, I think "Wow, if only we used the USPS, that could be paid with a lot of Express mail stamps.......if only...."
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 814Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05