Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Germany: Cancellation Premium.

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 24
Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2155 Posts
Posted 01/31/2020   04:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod,

The perfin is this one, used in Rüdesheim from 1894-1912. Johann Baptist Sturm ran a winery at the Boosenburg in Rüdesheim.

I believe the cancels are actually the same. This basic Rüdesheim one.

This type of cancel is known as a Kreis-Gitter-Stempel, or circular grating cancel. The "grating" is what's causing the heavy inking at bottom right that looks somewhat like a picture postmark. I can find no reference to any picture postmarks in use in Rüdesheim at the time.

The Futsches Reich sheet is a modern forgery of the WWII OSS propaganda forgery. Here's a legitimate block of four from my collection.

For more on these, see Friedman's excellent work here (the modern forgeries are near the top, the discussion of the legit originals near the bottom) and here.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28758 Posts
Posted 01/31/2020   05:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
High gratitude Postmaster.
I recognise the images from your link.
You may have advised me prior, dashed if I could find any reference though,
Perhaps before I had an efficient logging system.

I see your reference to the grate, well spotted.
I have known those as "Bridge" cancels.

I'll place the sheet in my German Cinderellas / Forgeries alongside, Glen Stephens' adverts for those sheets. (was asking $30)
Thank you for your time.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28758 Posts
Posted 01/31/2020   05:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As appreciation,
some light reading on Prussia (Sc#21 and 22) for SCF members.

Typographed in Reverse.
Paper resembling "Goldbeater's skin"

Edited by rod222 - 01/31/2020 05:39 am
Valued Member
United States
96 Posts
Posted 01/31/2020   7:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rich60 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Rod
Thank you for the above info on these 2 strange stamps. This detailed info does not appear anywhere else and I now understand their unusual nature much better.

Thanks
Rich
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28758 Posts
Posted 01/31/2020   8:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You're welcome Rich,
I had to read it 3 times, when I first came across it.
The lengths we go to guard against the dishonest.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28758 Posts
Posted 02/05/2020   5:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Count Von Luckner.
Chivalrous Sea Captain.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28758 Posts
Posted 02/25/2020   6:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I only know these as "Western Command"
Can members suggest where these are in Scott please?
Found (France)
Any information on the postmarks would be a bonus.
Thanks.
Edited by rod222 - 02/25/2020 7:04 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2155 Posts
Posted 02/25/2020   7:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod,

I'm away from home, so I won't have access to my usual references until next week. Here's what I have at the moment:

First cancel likely says Kommandantur Brügge (Headquarters Bruges). I can probably get you more details on its usage when I get back to my books.

Second one may be tough with nothing but "...post" with which to work. Could be some sort of feldpost, but at that time, feldpost cancels usually said "K.D. Feldpoststation", not simply "Feldpost". Again, I'll check on it.

Third one is this one. It's an inspection mark from the Ghent postal inspection office.
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28758 Posts
Posted 02/25/2020   7:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Postmaster,
I am a model of patience, anytime you have the time.
The postmarks indicate why I was looking in Belgium initially.
Thank you for the image.
Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2155 Posts
Posted 02/25/2020   7:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Belgium is the first place I went to in Scott as well.
Valued Member
Romania
120 Posts
Posted 02/27/2020   6:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cupram to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello
Looking for help in identifying this cancel
Thank you
Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2155 Posts
Posted 02/27/2020   7:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't have a clean sample to show, but it's a DDR cancel for the 2nd Sängerfest in Finsterwalde.

The text reads "FINSTERWALDE (NIEDERLAUSITZ) WIR SIND DIE SÄNGER VON FINSTERWALDE 2. SÄNGERFEST" / Finsterwalde (Niederlausitz) We are the singers of the 2nd Finsterwalde Singer Festival
Valued Member
Romania
120 Posts
Posted 02/27/2020   8:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cupram to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much PostmasterGS.
Funny cancel and a little in contradiction with the theme of the stamp "Fuhrer Deutschen arbeiterbewegung".
Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2155 Posts
Posted 03/06/2020   06:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod,

A follow-up on the Western Command cancels above, specifically WRT the middle cancel.

There were a wide variety of feldpost cancels used in the German army at that time, but most looked something like the one on the left.

This is why I was initially confused as to this cancel, because I was used to seeing "K.D.Feldpostexped." or "K.D.Feldpoststation" at the top, and a unit name or number at the bottom. As it turns out, as units changed or were renamed, the cancellers were sometimes recycled into "dumb" cancellers by removing some of the letters (like the cancel at right). That's what has happened with the middle cancel. Unfortunately, the removal of the unit info makes it virtually impossible to narrow the usage down any further.

I wasn't able to find any additional info on the first cancel. It's from the German command in Bruges.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28758 Posts
Posted 03/06/2020   06:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wonderful research, with gratitude Postmaster.
Sounds like you learned something as well.
Shall make a fine and interesting Album Page.
Well done you.

Page: of 24 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05