Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Modern British Post Card.... Help!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1755 Posts
Posted 06/11/2010   9:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add David Giles to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Folks:

Mum & Dad went to Britain last month. Mum sent a postcard (Yay Mum!! ). I guess she thought she used Royal Mail, but she did not.

It took a month to get here.

Below are scans of the postcard and a close-up of the stamp/cancel.

Any information on this would be useful.

Thanks!

David

Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
26487 Posts
Posted 06/11/2010   9:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Hey! it's Londonbus :)
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Rest in Peace
Canada
6750 Posts
Posted 06/12/2010   12:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I did a Wikipedia on Mount Pleasant and got Many of them.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Pleasant

In the United Kingdom

* Mount Pleasant, Spennymoor, County Durham, England
* Mount Pleasant, Stockton-on-Tees, County Durham, England
* Mount Pleasant henge, Dorset, England
* Mount Pleasant, Batley, West Yorkshire, England
* Mount Pleasant, Swansea, Wales, see Townhill, Swansea
* Royal Mail Mount Pleasant Sorting Office, the largest sorting office operated by Royal Mail
* Mount Pleasant, Liverpool, Merseyside, England
* Mount Pleasant, Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, England

All of which are click-able upon.
Rest in Peace
Learn More...
Canada
5701 Posts
Posted 06/12/2010   12:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BeeSee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes Rod, but he is LATE, by a month!
BeeSee in BC
"The Postmark is Mightier than the Stamp"
http://brcstamps.com ---- BNAPS, RPSC, APS
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
26487 Posts
Posted 06/12/2010   01:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sharp as usual BeaSea
Check out a close up of the London Bus, do I see Homer Simpson
on a stamp!

Rest in Peace
Learn More...
Canada
5701 Posts
Posted 06/12/2010   01:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BeeSee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, Road,

Right by the "14". Could Homer be the navigator for Londonbus1?
BeeSee in BC
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
2751 Posts
Posted 06/12/2010   02:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've not seen one of these stamps before but I found this website for the UniversalMail company:

http://www.universalmail.co.uk

which says the following:

Quote:
UniversalMail United Kingdom Limited was established through the deregulation of the UK postal industry in 2006. UniversalMail United Kingdom is the premier producer of scenic generic and personalised postage stamps in the UK. UniversalMail United Kingdom's postage stamps can be used to send postcards or envelopes to any destination worldwide.

An access agreement with Royal Mail enables any postcard or envelope bearing a UniversalMail United Kingdom
postage stamp to be mailed through the extensive network of red pillar (post) boxes. These are located throughout England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. All UniversalMail United Kingdom postage stamps are also accepted over the counter at Royal Mail Post Office branches.

UniversalMail United Kingdom's clients include tourist operators, regional tourist offices (information centres), hotels, general retailers and souvenir shops.
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
6180 Posts
Posted 06/12/2010   03:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Londonbus1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
We are having fun at my expense this morning aren't we !

I never noticed the US connection before. I will have to write to Londopn Transport.

David, your postcard most likely went by ship !

Your Parents uesd a Universal Mail stamp which is available from Tourist shops in both London and other major cities in the UK. The stamps are only available for use on International Letters or Postcards and NOT inland mail [I tried it, and sure enough it doesn't work !]
The Company is New Zealand-based.
The stamps are printed by Enschede of Holland, Self-Adhesive in strips of 5. Many different designs but with Flags !
The stamp with the Routemaster is particularly impressive ! {isn't it?}

Those items sent to me with Air mail etiquettes arrived quite quickly, those without took anything up to 6 weeks . My enquiries at the Port here in Ashdod and with the Postal service leads me to believe they came by ship. But there are no markings to say so, not that there should be.
In the UK, items bearing these stamps can be posted in the RM post boxes. They are then sent to the Universal Mail Office in London for onward despatch. This latter part is still a bit of a mystery but I do have a contact within the company whom I hope can shed further light on the service.

International Letter stamp , Flag and Printers Imprint only.

More Postcards...

By ship

Mint strips and backing card.

Londonbus1....gets everywhere ! [usually late]
Rest in Peace
Learn More...
Canada
5701 Posts
Posted 06/12/2010   10:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BeeSee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice information Londonbus1... and on time!
See what happens with so many people in different time zone - you get talked about behind your back!
BeeSee in BC
Rest in Peace
Canada
6750 Posts
Posted 06/12/2010   11:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And appreciated behind also.

That is for everybody!
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1755 Posts
Posted 06/12/2010   7:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add David Giles to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank-you all from the information.

David
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.72 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05