Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

"Too Late" stamps.  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
24245 Posts
Posted 06/15/2010   7:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add rod222 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
"TOO LATE" STAMPS.

September 1st 1932

Only one "too late" stamp has been issued in the British Empire. This appeared in
Victoria in 1855, and was issued to pay the excess rate of 6d. charged on late letters.

see the woodblock issues including the "FALSCH" forgery here:
http://www.stampsofvictoria.com/wood.php

It was a rather crude stamp, engraved on wood blocks, and was issued imperforate. The
design shows the head of Queen Victoria and the words "Victoria, Postage stamp," all
printed in lilac, with the addtion of the words "Too late" and "Sixpence" printed in green.
It is a scarce stamp, and at present is catalogued at 4/10/-.
In the Central American Republic of Columbia special stamps inscribed "Retardo" (too
late) have been in use from 1886 to date. From 1886 to 1902 these stamps were of 2.5c centavos value. In 1902 a 5 centavos stamp was introduced, in 1914 a 2c. one, and in
1921 stamps of 3c. and lOc. The total number of varieties to date is 17. Since 1903 the
Republic of Panama has also issued too late stamps, inscribed "Retardo." The values
are:1903, 5c.; 1904, 2|c.; 1916, Ic.

Note: this is not to be confused with "Too late" as an auxilliary marking (rubber stamp) on cover.
This would suggest the cover was too late for inclusion in certain mails.

SGL0129 (1899) TL40 2.5c too late gen cordova

columbia opt panama (not mine)

Send note to Staff
Edited by rod222 - 06/15/2010 10:43 pm

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
5699 Posts
Posted 06/15/2010   7:18 pm  Show Profile Check BeeSee's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BeeSee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Republic of Panama has also issued too late stamps, inscribed "Retardo."

oh I get it now, when people call me that it is because I am LATE.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
BeeSee in BC
"The Postmark is Mightier than the Stamp"
http://brcstamps.com ---- BNAPS, RPSC, APS
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
24245 Posts
Posted 06/15/2010   7:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

This is too early to be chuckling for me, BeeSee,
I am only half way through my first flat black.

I was reminded yesterday that I have to go to
all my friends funerals, otherwise they won't turn up for mine.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5703 Posts
Posted 06/15/2010   11:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've must have looked right past the Victoria Too Lates and Registereds forever, because I don't ever recall noticing them before. (I half thought that they might not be in SG, because "how could I miss 'em?" And yet, there they were.)

Looks like going down this road would cost a few pennies; something to keep an eye out for in Victoria collections.

Thanks for the heads up.

C.
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
6142 Posts
Posted 06/16/2010   01:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Londonbus1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Only one "too late" stamp has been issued in the British Empire.

Not true.
For all of us who daydream, wonder off or think strange and unusual things, there are other 'Too late' stamps......from the British Commonwealth in another time, another place.......

The above stamp was issued too late for inclusion in SG catalogue. All Postal workers of the hare or rabbit variety profoundly apologize for this, and can assure the philatelic public it will not happen again !

The next item is a rather nice Cross-Gutter showing a similar stamp to the one above together with a regular postage issue, An express mail stamp and a Semi-Postal [Health].
The differences between the too 'two late' stamps [or two 'too late' even] are in the size,colour and shading around the feet.

Now you can all wake up and get back to the real world.

Londonbus1...it still exists, somewhere !
Pillar Of The Community
2663 Posts
Posted 06/16/2010   03:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spock1k to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
dear Rod,

i am getting a lil worried here. are you planning to call your friends from their graves for your funeral. I dont think tony and I would like that also I wont ever have a grave so .....
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
6142 Posts
Posted 06/16/2010   10:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Londonbus1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Too late for the funeral.

nice topic !
Pillar Of The Community
USA
1744 Posts
Posted 06/16/2010   10:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gussyboy1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wood blocked stamps--awesome topic! I wasn't aware there were
such stamps--I'm still learning, and the teachers here are great sources.

Londonbus, beautiful "Too Late" stamps! How cool they used the Alice in Wonderland theme!
Thanks for posting guys!
Gussyboy1
Nobody gets in to see the Wizard. Not nobody. Not No How!"
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
6142 Posts
Posted 06/16/2010   2:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Londonbus1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
How cool they used the Alice in Wonderland theme!

In Wonderland, they are not allowed to use anything else.
The Queen would chop off their heads !

...and her orders are always carried out !

...and when that happens, it's just TOO LATE!!

Londonbus1
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
5699 Posts
Posted 06/16/2010   2:46 pm  Show Profile Check BeeSee's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BeeSee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I all of us would not be out of place if our pictures were on the first Colombia stamp shown by the Rodster.
BeeSee in BC
"The Postmark is Mightier than the Stamp"
http://brcstamps.com ---- BNAPS, RPSC, APS
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1656 Posts
Posted 06/16/2010   4:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nuggethill to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
G'Day Rod after reading this thread you reminded me of one of the stamps in my Aussie State stamp album,I have one of the orange-yellow imperf with a #1 (That's ((1)) in brackets) cancellation,mind you It's a bit worse for wear and I've had it for years,it has a very heavy cancellation and the colour (Aussie way of spelling color)has faded some what and the margins are closely cropped but still a orange/yellow all the same,Rod could you please tell me what the Scott # is for this stamp is.
regards Harry

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
24245 Posts
Posted 06/16/2010   7:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
G'day Harry,
any chance of a scan?
would love to see your example, but I don't use Scott catalogue
I use Gibbons.
I am presuming you mean the 6d woodblock.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5703 Posts
Posted 06/16/2010   8:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The 6d orange would be Scott #17, I believe. Without a scan, it is only a guess...

C.
Pillar Of The Community
2663 Posts
Posted 06/17/2010   07:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spock1k to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
BC why are you calling yourself names? :)
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2018 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.88 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05