Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Bats On Stamps ....

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1512 Posts
Posted 08/06/2010   11:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add bfranton to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
One conversation leads to another, and I heard that Australia has the largest bats in the world... fruit eaters.

So then we wondered if there were bats on stamps, and low and behold...

Lookie here.
Hoping someone has their own to share

http://www.usps.com/news/2002/phila...osebat37.jpg

http://page.freett.com/wrlz/batsonstamps.html
Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28398 Posts
Posted 08/06/2010   11:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

...a face only a mother could love.

"Here's looking at you Babe!"
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28398 Posts
Posted 08/06/2010   11:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1512 Posts
Posted 08/06/2010   12:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bfranton to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Too funny.
Valued Member
United States
305 Posts
Posted 08/06/2010   1:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gaff to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Umm...Rod...I think that first image you posted may be a valuable inverted error stamp!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5877 Posts
Posted 08/06/2010   2:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add smauggie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Umm...Rod...I think that first image you posted may be a valuable inverted error stamp!

Rod: So how many gigabytes of images do you have now? Terabytes?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5774 Posts
Posted 08/06/2010   3:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This would have to be my favorite bat-on-stamp stamp, followed closely by the 30-cent sibling.

1946 Peace issue, which adds some variety to the regular Peace omnibus issues of the Commonwealth:

Rest in Peace
Canada
6750 Posts
Posted 08/06/2010   4:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod,
Great stamp(s)!

Quote:

M.E.Batty and Loving It says: Why are you guys reading the stamp upsidedown?

Cjd,
Great stamp also! Scary but very nice.
Pillar Of The Community
USA
9747 Posts
Posted 08/06/2010   5:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bats in the Belfry...many of us can relate !!

APS 070059 Life Member International Society of Guatemala Collectors I.S.G.C. #853
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28398 Posts
Posted 08/06/2010   6:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's a very snazzy stamp cjd,
obviously the higher values do not reside in my collection.
I would never have guessed there were bats aboard.
The red and the brown marry well.

Smauggie, I have given up counting.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5774 Posts
Posted 08/06/2010   7:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the other stamp in the set...this color combination works nicely, as well...

I was going to post this stamp, which is right up there for favorite Hong Kong stamps that don't depict KGV...the high value from the Hong Kong Centenary set of 1941:

(If you have any trouble finding the bat, check to the left of the value "tablet.")

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1512 Posts
Posted 08/06/2010   8:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bfranton to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Please explain the bat on bat reference... I see the one in the last; but not on the other two.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5774 Posts
Posted 08/06/2010   9:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Did I say that?

checking back...no, wasn't me...

anyway, the bat on stamp reference on the two Hong Kong Peace issues are the two bats on either side of the portraits.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1512 Posts
Posted 08/06/2010   9:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bfranton to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow... really little; ok I was thrown off by the phoenix / dragon / dog things. :)
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28398 Posts
Posted 08/06/2010   9:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Interesting Juxtapostion in the image at bottom.
The "clipper" ship on the left, eventually passed on it's name
to the aircraft on the right, the mail planes being then being referred to as "clippers"

The bat on the Hong Kong $1 ...well spotted Sir!

China and Bats.

One of the best sign of all is a red bat. Red is a lucky color and a bat is considered a fortunate sign because its name in Chinese is a homonym with the Chinese word for "good luck, "plus bats sleep with their head down and their feet up, which shows how relaxed and worry free they are. Chinese and Vietnamese believe that people can achieve the relaxed, worry-free state of bats by eating red bat meat. Five flying bats symbolize the "Five Blessings": longevity, wealth. health, virtue and a long life span.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28398 Posts
Posted 08/06/2010   10:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.01 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05