Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Collecting By Engraver

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 238
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4720 Posts
Posted 03/19/2018   4:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
they seem to jump off the page.

Kirk I feel the same way looking at many of Swedish single
colour stamps of the 1970s, like the set engraved
by Czeslaw Slania below.
The Swedish Stamp Printing Works had excellent engravers but so were the printing presses,
the print techniques and the high quality standards.

Sweden Scott 1285-1290 1979

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4720 Posts
Posted 03/19/2018   5:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
stamp_nut Jean de Vos was certainly another great
engraver and he seem to excel at doing portraits.
I really like the Scott B957 Camille Lemonnier.

Belgium was another country I was interested in years ago but
I only have a few.

Valued Member
Germany
22 Posts
Posted 03/19/2018   6:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamp_nut to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I really like the Scott B957 Camille Lemonnier.

Yes, that one impressed me as well. It is quite a large stamp too (38x50mm).

Quote:
I believe he is the engraver with the most stamp engravings to his name. Living, that is. He hasn't broken Slania's record yet.

800+ up to 2016. When I read how many stamps Mörck had engraved so far, I thought he would have no trouble breaking Slania's record. Seems to be unlikely now. What a shame.

Quote:
he (Slania) was prepared to immigrate to Canada to engrave
for the Canadian Bank Note Co.

In fact, Slania applied for employment there, but the Canadian authorities refused to grant him a visa.

Anyway, here are a few more from Jean de Vos from my rapidly growing collection of engraved stamps.

Michel 1274

Michel 1275

Michel 1368

Michel 1378

Michel 1789
Pillar Of The Community
669 Posts
Posted 03/19/2018   7:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add graphis to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Please read: We are at 232 pages in this current thread...many posts and images were generated before the Photobucket fiasco..many images since lost in the process. Should we consider starting a new thread that would be more current and reliable as far as content and images are retained. Most of us still have our inventories of images...i am not suggesting that we try and replicate past posts.
Sadly..they are history. And I feel it's time to move forward and continue this discussion under a new banner..."Engraved Stamps Redux"..or whatever title you think would be appropriate.It will also give us the opportunity to add more info that may not have been included in the original post. I got motivated to renew my interest in stamps thanks to this forum and the engravers thread..thanks to all the contributors I have acquired hundreds of stamps and forked out a sizeable amount of money doing so..not to mention binders and stock sheets...at the end of the day..worth every penny.This thread keeps attracting new members and posts..providing a great database of information and images. I have formed friendships with some members off site...not only is there a discussion of stamps..i even get weather reports in parts of Europe and below the Equator!So I welcome your comments on how or if we should face change..or keep riding on the same bus??
Edited by graphis - 03/19/2018 7:11 pm
Valued Member
Australia
437 Posts
Posted 03/19/2018   7:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jjarmstrong47 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you are collecting Jean de Vos, don't overlook the Christmas mini-sheets he did for Rwanda. I'm sure that they were only produced to make money for the country but, who cares? As engravings they are superb.

Graphis, my preference would be to keep going as is. The old posts will still keep coming up in searches and many of them have images. Also much of the information that has been posted may never get posted again.
Collecting postal history of WW2 in Italy, Chicago precancels and world-wide line engraved. http://www.engravedstamps.net
Pillar Of The Community
669 Posts
Posted 03/19/2018   8:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add graphis to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
jjarmstrong...i am not big on religious themed stamps...but those Rawandan stamps by Jean deVos truly are suberb!
Thanks for sharing.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4720 Posts
Posted 03/20/2018   11:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
And I feel it's time to move forward and continue this discussion under a new banner..."Engraved Stamps Redux"..or whatever title you think would be appropriate.

I agree with graphis and maybe even add separate folders
for individual engravers.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
119 Posts
Posted 03/21/2018   02:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add crispinhj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have been following this topic and reading the posts that include images with great enjoyment. I have always put stamps I particularly like that I came across in their own collection - the idea of doing so by production process appeals to me and would also add structure to my little collection

I would love to see the earlier posts re-posted with their images which have now vanished.

On another forum I followed a thread which was similarly destroyed, which detailed the techniques used to build a very impressive model railway layout. Without images the descriptions of how the poster went about his work were meaningless, and he felt that the work to replace the images was too much for him to contemplate - it was literally hundreds of posts often with several images to each post

I know it's a lot of work but if some people could re-post favourite or what they felt were their most informative earlier posts I for one would appreciate it and for me it would make sense to have a new topic as when I looked back it seems that posts with images only start around the 220th page
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4720 Posts
Posted 03/21/2018   12:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi crispinhj

I'm glad that you enjoy this thread and yes it is a pity
that so many images are no longer visible.

Quote:
I would love to see the earlier posts re-posted with their images which have now vanished.

I started doing that yesterday for pages 174 to 179.
It took almost 3 hours for those six pages.
Since I have hundreds of lost images it would be
quite a chore and I'm not sure I'm up to doing that.
And even if I replaced all of mine there would be still
hundreds more missing if other forum members choose
not to replace their lost images or don't have them
stored on a hard drive.

It is a problem for sure.

Pillar Of The Community
669 Posts
Posted 03/21/2018   4:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add graphis to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Recent acquisitions from the Kingdom of Laos
Designer for most of the stamps: Marc Leguay
More info M.Leguay here...worth a read:

http://www.alaowedding.com/2017/01/...-stamps.html

Scott#8 Issued 1951-52
Engraver:Raoul Serres

Scott#27 Issued 1956
Engraver:Jean Pheulpin

Scott#64 Issued 1959
Engraver:Pierre Munier

Scott#C1 Issued 1952

Scott#C8 Issued 1953

Scott#C9 Issued 1953

Scott#C14 Issued 1955

Scott#C15 Issued 1955
Pillar Of The Community
669 Posts
Posted 03/21/2018   5:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add graphis to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
More that arrived in today's mail...French Connection.

Morocco-1962
Designer?:Magnard
Engraver:Claude Durrens
Scott#62

French Polynesia-1964
Engraver/Designer: Charles Mazelin & Raoul Serres
Scott#209

Iceland-1978
Engraver:Eugene Lacaque
Scott#512
Edited by graphis - 03/21/2018 5:01 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4720 Posts
Posted 03/21/2018   5:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
graphis, you sure got a lot of new beauties there.

I like all the Laotian but especially Scott#64 Issued 1959.

It is amazing when you consider the French Govt Printer
used only 3 colours at a single pass through the press to produce this.

Pillar Of The Community
669 Posts
Posted 03/21/2018   5:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add graphis to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
At 232 pages it's hard to determine which stamps have been posted before so please forgive any duplication.

Liechtenstein-Stamp Exhibit 1972
Bendern & Vaduz Castles
Designer: Josef Seger
Engraver:Hans Ranzoni Jr.

Scott#505 SS (image cropped)

Scott#505 & 505a

Pillar Of The Community
669 Posts
Posted 03/21/2018   5:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add graphis to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Lithograving...thanks I am slowly adding to my small collection of Laotian stamps...real gems IMHO...and quite affordable..a bonus!
Edited by graphis - 03/21/2018 5:45 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Chile
1137 Posts
Posted 03/21/2018   8:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jorgesurcl to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
About the Cuban stamps of the mid-20th century...

I dont' know who was the engraver of those Cuban stamps of 1943 (posted by graphis, page 229).
In those years the engraving of dies and plates were made in Philadelphia by Security Bank Note Co., and the stamps were printed in Cuba.
The SBNC contracted the engraving of stamps dies with different engravers that worked in other companies (BEP, Columbian Bank Note Co) and they did these works in their free time.
But in 1947 the SBNC hired Edward R. Grove (BEP engraver), who worked with them until 1962 and engraved many Cuban stamps of those years.

Cuba - 1948
International Leprosy Congress
Engraved by Security Bank Note Co.
Printed by Compańia P. Fernández S.A. - Habana
Engraved by Edward Ryneal Grove (1912-2002)

Page: of 238 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05