Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

San Tomas La Guaira private postage  

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
24177 Posts
Posted 08/08/2017   6:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
wiki

La Guaira (La Wayra?)

La Guaira is the capital city of the Venezuelan state of Vargas and the country's main port. It was founded in 1577 as an outlet for Caracas, 30 kilometres (19 mi) to the southeast

The Caracas–La Guaira highway is a highway that connects Caracas, the capital of Venezuela, to its principal port city of La Guaira, capital of the Vargas state.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Israel
397 Posts
Posted 08/08/2017   7:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob Roy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Does it mean that the steam boat mail service was part of the Venezuelan postal service? Or that the company's HQ was only located here, but sailed under another country?
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
2507 Posts
Posted 08/08/2017   8:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There's lots of info on this in the SG South America catalogue.

This service started in 1863 when Captain Robert Todd acquired the right from the Venezuelan government to carry mail between Caracas, La Guiara, Puerto Cabello and St Thomas.

He sold this concession and his ship to Blohm, Nolting & Co. of Curacao. They carried on the service and issued the first few sets of stamps starting in 1864.

In 1866 they in turn sold the concession to another Curacao company, J. A. Jesurun en Zoon. At first they used the same stock of stamps but then issued stamps in the final design which has their JAJ&Z initials in the centre.

The concession was sold again in 1870 to Cameron, Macauley & Co. of St Thomas but no new stamps were issued.

The service ended in 1873 because of competition from the British Post Offices in Venezuela.

Nigel
Valued Member
Israel
397 Posts
Posted 08/08/2017   9:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob Roy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the enlighting info.
So, that's why SG listed these stamps under Venezuela.
I understand that I'm holding 2 stamps from J.A.Jesurun and two from Blohm & Nolting.
Fascinating story.
Edited by Rob Roy - 08/08/2017 9:17 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
24177 Posts
Posted 08/08/2017   10:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you here too, Great Information.

The name is similar to the Spanish "La Aguera" a settlement off Mauritania.
I had them mixed when I first took up collecting.

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
151 Posts
Posted 03/09/2018   9:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tazzmann30 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So maybe I missed it but did Scott Catalog have a listing for the 1/2 and 2 value?
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
558 Posts
Posted 03/10/2018   01:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There's a nice article on Robert Todd's service and the stamps here:

http://www.mostlyclassics.net/phila...alStamps.pdf

Edited by Bobby De La Rue - 03/10/2018 01:02 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
668 Posts
Posted 11/09/2018   05:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spain_1850 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, this forum has everything!

I found these 2 in a small group of Venezuelan stamps I just received. My googling led me straight back to this thread in this forum, and then to the article linked by Bobby De La Rue,

Interesting stuff. I'm suspicious of the red, medio real stamp however.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
668 Posts
Posted 11/09/2018   06:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spain_1850 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jay Smiths website also has some good examples, for reference, for most of these issues.
http://www.jaysmith.com/Lists/Danis...Cabello.html
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2018 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05