Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

My Australian Oddities

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 431 / Views: 30,757Next Topic
Page: of 29
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32199 Posts
Posted 12/14/2020   8:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Nice one Al !
Perhaps the "gouge" was why that stamp was redrawn.......
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
838 Posts
Posted 12/14/2020   8:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gettinold to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
AussieAl

The bottom one is quite dramatic.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3698 Posts
Posted 12/14/2020   9:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think not, definitely looks like a MELBOURNE CTO

Thanks Rod. Nicely shown.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32199 Posts
Posted 12/14/2020   10:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Steve,
Wow! just noticed the huge gash on the RHS of the left "2"
That is some flaw.......
(The CTO image)
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1159 Posts
Posted 12/14/2020   11:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Aussie Al to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Steve,
Wow! just noticed the huge gash on the RHS of the left "2"
That is some flaw.......
(The CTO image)

Electro 16L4.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32199 Posts
Posted 12/15/2020   01:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Al, ACSC#97 $75 used 2007 singleton.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3698 Posts
Posted 02/15/2021   3:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is Scott 7, ACSC 16(U)h, Colour flaw left of I of Australia. I also noted the A of Postage is slightly off, plus a nick under the Kangaroo's ear. Neither of these are shown in the ACSC catalog, but thought I would point it out for comments.

Valued Member
Australia
17 Posts
Posted 02/24/2021   12:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add steveb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That 5d roo looks like its been rubbed face down on a rough surface. A LOT of ink is missing everywhere. The A certainly looks like ink scratched away. Not sure about the ear, could be a transient flaw or scratched ink. Hard to tell without examining the stamp. Unless other specimens come to light and submitted to the ACSC for consideration as a genuine new flaw, they do seem to pander to those who see $$$ at any minuscule printing error on something around 100yrs old.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3698 Posts
Posted 03/23/2021   10:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a recent purchase. Scott 70, and probably ACSC 99, the Die II version of this stamp. I have difficulty determining Die I and Die II. In this case, the cancellation date of 17 June 1930 strongly points to Die II.

The Oddity is the scratches in Roo's tail. These are not shown in my ACSC. Confirmation from our group?

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
726 Posts
Posted 03/24/2021   08:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I took a cursory look through the BSAP 2d Die I checklist but didn't see it. I understand that the Brown Die I only used Plates 12 and 16.

I'm for my first Covid shot today but will take a closer look later.

Your stamp looks more like Die II to me withe the slight downward projection of the vertical stroke on the first E of PENCE and the more or less regular W of TWO. I don't have a Die II checklist.

Frank.
Edited by itma - 03/24/2021 09:18 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3698 Posts
Posted Yesterday   11:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's been a long lock-down in California. Finally opened up these past couple of days, so now I am waiting for the first stamp bourse. Looking through some older items, I found this one. Identified as Scott OB47, ACSC 13(2)m, Die I, punctured small OS, but very poorly centered. This is described as "White scratch from value circle to EN of PENCE". Not a great copy, but picked up for a very low price.

Page: of 29 Replies: 431 / Views: 30,757Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05