Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

1c 1851 Plate 4 Stamps

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 174 / Views: 15,061Next Topic
Page: of 12
Valued Member
United States
70 Posts
Posted 05/12/2020   11:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Njs900 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
With plate 3 discontinued, there was a need for a replacement. During the nearly four months of production before perforation was introduced, much of the earliest production of plate 4 must have been immediately used. Some later production remained in the stack resulting in early impressions on perforated copies as you point out. So the dot resulting from something happening during the earliest use of the plate is possible. Who knows.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1006 Posts
Posted 05/26/2020   4:27 pm  Show Profile Check ray.mac's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ray.mac to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, just curious if my hunch was correct on this eBay auction: 392803050221

Labeled as Type IIIA, witha Weiss cert, but I thought it was actually 96L4, Type Ia. The blur bottom left, and up the left margin didn't match anything on the 6th row F reliefs as well as 96L4. The impression was a lot stronger and a lot more ink than anything on Doporto, so I may have been off.

Since it was flawed, and I already have a flawed one, I didn't bid. Just curious if anyone else did and if I had this one correct.

Thanks, Ray
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1295 Posts
Posted 05/26/2020   8:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was thinking the same thing, ray, and I threw one bid up there. But didn't get it.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1006 Posts
Posted 05/26/2020   11:22 pm  Show Profile Check ray.mac's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ray.mac to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Dudley. I did let a couple of others know, but havent heard if they bid or not.

Just wanted some confirmation that I wasn't potentially leading someone down the wrong path. Appreciate the response!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1295 Posts
Posted 06/12/2020   1:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A diamond in the rough. And rough is an understated descriptor for this ragged cover showing a 10-cent rate to Marin Co, CA made up by two #11's and an imperforate One-Cent Franklin on a three-cent Nesbitt envelope. The One-Cent stamp is the diamond (those who are better versed in the Three-Cent stamps than I might find something there as well). It is position 55L4 Type III (Scott #8) in good condition with reasonable margins.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2051 Posts
Posted 06/12/2020   2:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
dudley - nice find!

I haven't double-checked the full plating, but its clearly F-relief, Sixth-row, Ty III as you state.

edit: usage would be circa 1857.
Edited by txstamp - 06/12/2020 2:12 pm
Valued Member
United States
80 Posts
Posted 06/13/2020   08:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add widglo46 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This #8 has a PF cert that states it is from Plate 4, but it doesn't have a position number. I guess that even with part of the adjoining stamps, there just aren't enough plating marks to be sure. If anyone feels confident that they can plate it, I'd like to know.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2051 Posts
Posted 06/13/2020   12:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Zero analysis on my part here other than to say, from memory, 66R4 consistently had one of the best bottom line breaks, not unlike this.

Great stamp - breaks that big at bottom are very hard to find.
Valued Member
United States
80 Posts
Posted 06/13/2020   7:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add widglo46 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, txstamp. Focusing on the wide break on the bottom really narrows the field of possible candidates. I think it might actually be 67R4. Comparing it to the figures in Neinken, I see that the stamp has dots in the "S" and "T" of "POSTAGE" that match.

I have another #8 from Plate 4, position 26L4, but it's not as nice. I think it looks like a late printing with plate wear both on the top and bottom contributing to the breaks.

Page: of 12 Previous TopicReplies: 174 / Views: 15,061Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05