Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Questions On GB Postal History Covers Recently Purchased

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1141 Posts
Posted 12/08/2018   8:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

While I was in the UK recently I visited Salop Stamps in Shrewsbury, one of the most picturesque cities in the UK. The proprietor Andy Neal is a very nice man so if you are ever there please pop in and say hello!

I purchased nine covers from him and have a question on the four shown below.

You can see in the description that a catalogue number is quoted (HA1257, SH648 and L514).

It makes sense that HA would be Hampshire, SH would be Shropshire and L would be London.

Does anyone know what catalogues are being referenced in these descriptions? Are they from "The British County Catalogue of
Postal History" by Willcocks & Jay?

Thanks folks
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United Kingdom
9 Posts
Posted 01/01/2019   07:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add potterspostals to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Robert
Not sure which book is being referred to, however I do have a copy of Collect British Postmarks 8th Edition (2011), now printed by Stanley Gibbons. All the postmarks are in there, but are given a price, rather than a rating.
Happy New year
Huw
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Singapore
707 Posts
Posted 01/01/2019   08:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pennyblackie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Did you purchase any 1840 two pence blue or penny black cover?
Edited by pennyblackie - 01/01/2019 08:26 am
Valued Member
United States
428 Posts
Posted 01/01/2019   5:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ldhaber to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The references would appear to be from "The British County Catalogue of Postal History". A five volume set.

I checked the first item you have here, the 1798 out of Southhampton, and the reference is to HA1257. This cancel is noted from 1792-1795 and is indeed an "E" in terms of "rarity and value". The range of "E" is £31 to £50. I'm looking specifically at volume 4 which is copyrighted 1988.

Hope this helps,

Larry
Edited by ldhaber - 01/01/2019 7:29 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1141 Posts
Posted 01/01/2019   11:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Huw I should probably invest in that book, it sounds like it goes further than Lowe & the introductory book by Alcock/Holland.

No pennyblackie, no 1d blacks or 2d blues - I know from other posts how much you like those stamps on cover and your comment did make me smile

Larry, you are a star Thanks so much for all the extra info - now to track these books down!

Right, time to go and find some extra shelf space.......
Pillar Of The Community
Singapore
707 Posts
Posted 01/02/2019   02:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pennyblackie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bobby, can't help loving these stamps, they are after all the mother of all adhesive stamps :)
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.53 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05