Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Collecting by Engraver  

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 235
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
687 Posts
Posted 05/12/2011   12:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Perf14 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So, do any of you have actual album pages set up by engraver? If so I would be very interested in sighting some, Thanks

alex
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
7400 Posts
Posted 05/12/2011   1:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nethryk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
AnthonyUK - Thanks. Yes, the Affligem Abbey staircase is one of my favorites, too: a pleasingly complex mix of curves and angles.

Perf14 - I don't use regular album pages to house my collection. Instead, I place my stamps in Lighthouse Vario black vinyl stock pages and store them in binders: good protection, maximum flexibility, and easy to scan.

Next: Polish engraver Edward Konecki (1912-1990) produced some attractive stamps for Poland between 1951 and 1976. Here are several examples of his engraving skills.

- nethryk

Mendeleev, issued on December 10, 1959, Scott No. 881.

Love Letter, issued on October 9, 1963, Scott No. 1174.

Monument for defenders of Westerplatte, 1939 (with label), issued on November 16, 1964.

Warsaw mermaid, ruins and new buildings, issued on January 15, 1965 to mark the 20th anniversary of the liberation of Warsaw, Scott No. 1298.

Stableman with Percherons, issued on September 8, 1966.

Ceramic ram, c. 4000 B.C., issued on December 10, 1966.
Pillar Of The Community
7400 Posts
Posted 05/12/2011   1:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nethryk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And that Warsaw Mermaid stamp reminded me about one of my favorite Arne Kühlmann engraved stamps: The Little Mermaid, issued by Denmark on February 16, 1989, Scott No. 865, Facit No. 970. More curves!

- nethryk

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
687 Posts
Posted 05/13/2011   6:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Perf14 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
nethryk - The stamps you are posting are absolutely stunning! Good work and thanks. I use vario-type storage for a lot of my stamps as well. Altough I do like constructing album pages for certain collections as I feel it adds a new dimension.

Working out an album for a collection by engravers might be fun.

:)
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4373 Posts
Posted 05/13/2011   8:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jean de Vos was certainly an excellent engraver as were so many
other Belgian ones.
Since nethryk finished off with Kühlmann's Little Mermaid stamp
I would like to show a bit more of his work.

Endangered Flora 1977
Scott 609 - 610

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4373 Posts
Posted 05/13/2011   9:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Rare Danish Mushrooms 1978

Scott 624
Edible Morel

Scott 625
The Satan's mushroom is as its name implies, poisonous.

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4373 Posts
Posted 05/13/2011   9:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nordic Cooperation Issue 1980

Scott 670 - 671

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4373 Posts
Posted 05/13/2011   9:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Lace Patterns, North Schleswig 1980

Scott 675 - 677

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4373 Posts
Posted 05/13/2011   9:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nyboder Developement 350th Anniversary. 1981

If you're curious regarding the colours chosen
for these stamps then read this Wikipedia article.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyboder

Scott 678 - 679

Pillar Of The Community
7400 Posts
Posted 05/13/2011   9:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nethryk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Perf14 - Thank you. I'm hoping that many others will soon join in posting their stamp images, along with lithograving and me.

lithograving - Superb selection. That Kühlmann Satan's mushroom is certainly one "killer" stamp.

Daniel Carande Boto (1911-?) worked for the Royal Spanish Mint as an engraver from 1946 until his retirement in 1980. During the 1960s, he engraved a number of fine stamps for Spain. Here are images of a couple of sets of stamps demonstrating his abilities.

- nethryk

Santa Maria del Parral Monastery, Segovia, issued by Spain on November 25, 1968, Scott Nos. 552-54, Edifil Nos. 1894-96

Famous Spanish Women, issued by Spain on April 8, 1964, Scott Nos. 1522-25, Edifil Nos. 1864-67.

Edited by nethryk - 05/24/2011 6:48 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4373 Posts
Posted 05/13/2011   10:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes Kühlmann certainly had a lot of talent. Much of
his work I find is comparable to Slania's who engraved
together with Arne Kühlmann all Danish stamps in the seventies & eighties.
Nice Spanish ones you have there nethryk. I took out new issue
subscription with the Spanish Philatelic Service in the early sixties
mainly for their engraved stamps.
Bi colour printing added a certain element to the looks of
these Spanish stamps and they would be recognizable
as Spanish even if the country's name did not appear on them.

Apropos printing. Nethryk, would you happen to have info regarding
the types of printing presses used by the Spanish or Danish
State Printers?
I know some used the Giori but not all.

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4373 Posts
Posted 05/13/2011   10:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is another Danish set from 1980 featuring old coins but this time
engraved by Czeslaw Slania. Just to compare with the previous
stuff from Arne Kühlmann
They are not his best work but not exactly bad either.

Scott 672 - 674

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4373 Posts
Posted 05/13/2011   10:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This 1962 Spanish issue for El Cid is one of my favourites.
The movie El Cid starring Charlton Heston & Sophia Loren
came out in 1961 and was a blockbuster. I went to see it when it
was originally released but I have enjoyed watching it many times since then.

Scott 1121 - 1124

Maybe it's just me but the Cid on the 1 peseta kinda looks
like Heston.
Pillar Of The Community
7400 Posts
Posted 05/14/2011   09:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nethryk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
lithograving - Sorry, but I don't believe that I have any information about either the Danish or Spanish printing presses; I must confess that my interest in engraved stamps has always been centered on the products (engraving technique and stamp design), rather than on the specific manufacturing processes.

Your "El Cid" set is one of my favorites, too; it was engraved by one of the most prolific Spanish masters, José Luis López Sánchez Toda (1901-1975.) I would agree that the el Cid head on the 1 peseta stamp looks a lot like the late actor, but in doing some research on this stamp a while back I found that it was actually designed after a detail from an equestrian statue, Monumento al Cid, Burgos, sculpted in 1955 (some six years before the movie's release) by Juan Cristóbal González Quesada (1897–1961.) Perhaps this is a situation where a postage stamp influenced a film production casting decision?

I would also agree with you that the engraved Spanish stamps of that era often had a similar "feel" to them, probably because most projects were evidently team efforts. For instance, on the Famous Spanish Women set I posted above, not only Sánchez Toda, but no less than two other engravers are credited with making contributions, besides Carande Boto. In the end, on many Spanish stamps it is sometimes hard to tell exactly who engraved what.

To wrap up this commentary, here are images of a few more engraved stamps issued by Spain and credited (either solely or mainly) to the mucho talented Señor Sánchez Toda.

- nethryk

Archangel Gabriel, issued on October 12, 1956, Scott No. 852, Edifil No. 1195.

Juan Donoso Cortés, issued on February 25, 1965, Scott No. 1292, Edifil No. 1653.

St. Benedict, issued on September 27, 1965, Scott No. 1313, Edifil No. 1675.

Portal of St. Mary's Church, Sangüesa, Navarre, issued on July 15, 1968, Scott No. 1537, Edifil No. 1879.
Edited by nethryk - 05/24/2011 6:51 pm
Pillar Of The Community
7400 Posts
Posted 05/14/2011   10:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nethryk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Speaking of engraver teams, most 20th century USA stamps had at least two engravers, one for the vignette, and another for the stamp's frame and/or lettering. Many collectors (including, I believe, our own lithograving!) consider Thomas R. Hipschen to be among the finest American engravers, especially for his wonderful portraits. Hipschen retired in 2006 after a 38-year career at the BEP, during which he engraved some 130 stamps for the U.S. Postal Service. Here are images of some USA stamps featuring vignette portraits engraved by Mr. Hipschen.

- nethryk

Robert F. Kennedy, issued on January 12, 1979, Scott No. 1770.

Herman Melville, issued on August 1, 1984, Scott No. 2084.

Eleanor Roosevelt, issued on October 11, 1984, Scott No. 2105.

T.S. Eliot, issued on September 26, 1986, Scott No. 2239.

William Faulkner, issued on August 3, 1987, Scott No. 2350.

Edward R. Murrow, issued on January 21, 1994, Scott No. 2812.

Page: of 235 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Bid Online on Live auctions. Stamps, Coins, Fine Art, Jewelery, Collectibles, Antique, Furniture, Wines & Spirits, Collector Cars, Fashion.Promoting the integrity of internet philatelic dealers. Please join us so buyers can buy with confidence.United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!Genuine H.E. Harris products and quality postage stamps at www.whitman.com. POSTAGE STAMPS, STAMP ALBUMS & ANNUAL SUPPLEMENTS!What's on your wall? Check out our handmade, screen printed stamp art. Perfect for your collector room, office and more. Buy online today!
New Forum TopicsRecently Active Forum Topics
  J100 missing 'D' in DOLLAR on lower left in position 90 both plates 34283 and 35282
  Filling another hole w/ Scott #317 Pair
  A neat cover to share
  A couple interesting covers
  Please change my avatar to this image
  3c 1851 Plating Help (probably plate 6-8), please
  Has Anyone Used Redpoint Auction Platform?
  1914 documentary with forged Narcotic overprints
  Is this a tab of a postal stamp?
  USS Brooklyn Photo Cachet
  Could not find this one in StampWorld
  eBay's answer to Prime Day - $25 Off $119+ Today
  Saudi Arabia - Hejaz overprint 1920's
  Info for this stamp?
  finding all Scott numbers for a single illustration
  Cover and Invitation From His Excellency
  Cartel 241 Cert Shenanigans
  NFLD Scott 262 - Boy do I ever need your guys opinion
  US Stamp Give-Away (July 2018, #2)
  American Prisoner in London 1777
  Dennison hinges, package for sale
  Stamp Mount Sizing Gauge
  Scott 687 - Looking for a possible 2nd oddity.
  Scott 720 color variance
  My Delcampe Store Re-Opened. 4,000 cover lots listed at $1.99 ea.

Scott - Michel Conversion Charts
  Is this a tab of a postal stamp?
  What Did You Do Philatelically: Today or Recently?
  U.S. Scott 245 and Scott 293 Dealers
  J100 missing 'D' in DOLLAR on lower left in position 90 both plates 34283 and 35282
  What does it take to use postage stamps?
  1914 documentary with forged Narcotic overprints
  Saudi Arabia - Hejaz overprint 1920's
  Could not find this one in StampWorld
  Image Recognition & Stamp Identification
  Filling another hole w/ Scott #317 Pair
  3c 1851 Plating Help (probably plate 6-8), please
  1c 1851 Plate 1-Late Stamps
  Has Anyone Used Redpoint Auction Platform?
  Cartel 241 Cert Shenanigans
  A neat cover to share
  Never seen a cover like this one.
  My first APS stampshow
  finding all Scott numbers for a single illustration
  Norway Land of the Norge
  Canada stamp giveaway
  US Stamp Give-Away (July 2018, #2)
  Latin Species Names For Plants & Animals
  A couple interesting covers
  Seeking advice from those crazy WW collectors

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.79 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05