Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Thomas DE LA Rue; Stamps,labels And Exhibitions

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
6186 Posts
Posted 08/17/2010   1:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Londonbus1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
If anyone has any Stamps,Labels or sheets depicting Mr De La rue, please post them here. Not the stamps printed by the company, but showing the man himself, the founder of Thomas De La Rue & Company, Limited, or the place/logo/advertisement etc.
De La Rue set up the company in London in 1821, having left his native Guernsey where he had run a newspaper since 1813. His first big venture was obtaining a Royal warrant to produce playing cards in 1931.
So if anyone has a set of DLR playing cards, hang on to them !
His company started to print stamps in 1855.
100 years later, in the confined , but refined spaces of the Royal Philatelic Society in London, the De La Rue Stamp Centenary Exhibition took place. [6-18 June 1955]

A number of labels were issued for the event.
The first in both Deep Blue and Carmine.

The above was printed in sheets of 100, two panes of 50.
Left pane had Plate No 1A and the right pane 1B. Both had printer's imprint below centre label. Printed Recess.

A set of 4 labels showing Thomas De La Rue in Full-face, engraved and perf 13. Superb looking. Many other colours were printed as Proofs/Essays/Colour trials and are scarce. [They also look supremely beautiful ...I got a peak from my new catalogue !]

De La Rue house in Regent Street, London opened their doors to the youth for the Story of Stamps Exhibition in 1958 [9-18 April].
The label below exists in other shades of green and on different papers;' also Imperf and Rouletted.

Two other labels were produced.

If anyone has any other labels showing Thomas De La Rue, then let us see them.
Or if anyone knows of any other Exhibition where his life or Stamps were comemmorated, tell us about it.

Londonbus1

[Info: Wikpedia;My Brain;Others;British Stamp Exhibitions,Wilson/Morgan]
Send note to Staff
Edited by Londonbus1 - 08/17/2010 1:42 pm

Valued Member
New Zealand
57 Posts
Posted 08/17/2010   3:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bruce Webber to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I haven't got Thomas but I do have a small 30 page book on Bradbury, Wilkinson & Co Ltd. Printers of bank notes etc. If you are interested in printers in general I could scan a few pages and send them to you.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26826 Posts
Posted 08/17/2010   9:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26826 Posts
Posted 08/17/2010   9:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Logo on packaging for playing cards:
image courtesy of revstampman

Logo: Playing Cards

Edited by rod222 - 08/17/2010 9:25 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26826 Posts
Posted 08/17/2010   9:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
De La Rue Cover :

De La Rue Training Stamp :

Queen De La Rue :

De la rue label for a "Healthy India"

Edited by rod222 - 08/17/2010 9:42 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
6186 Posts
Posted 08/18/2010   03:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Londonbus1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great items Rod !
The cards and wrapper are particularly interesting. I noticed the company was named De La Rue & Co then [1830's?]. That means they officially changed their company name 5 times ![Twice as it was in the 1830's]

Thanks for posting.

Londonbus1.....always relies on Rod !
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26826 Posts
Posted 08/18/2010   03:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Thank you Lb.

We can thank Revstampman for the wrapper,
I had a cut piece for 6 years? without an identification,
and an inspired piece of Googling the Rev meister
found the wrapper

My "cut piece"
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1326 Posts
Posted 08/18/2010   07:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 22crows to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Guernsey issued a set of 4 stamps commemorating Thomas De La Rue 'The Guernsey Printer' in 1971 (SG 59-62). His portrait is on each of the stamps.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26826 Posts
Posted 08/18/2010   07:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
22 crows, have you eaten a stamp catalogue recently ?

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1326 Posts
Posted 08/18/2010   08:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 22crows to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Should I have?

No, but I have a couple of those Guernsey stamps.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26826 Posts
Posted 08/18/2010   10:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, the way you know your catalogue issues,
one would think so
Amazing ability...or perhaps you have a database
hiding there somewhere.

I recall your legerdemain at the Mustelidae issues,
frankly, astonishing.

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
737 Posts
Posted 08/19/2010   06:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ryan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If anyone has any Stamps,Labels or sheets depicting Mr De La rue, please post them here

Not a stamp, but a portrait nonetheless. The book shown in Rod's post ("The De La Rue History of British & Foreign Postage Stamps") contains this portrait as its frontispiece. A much younger look than we see on the labels you have posted.

Ryan

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26826 Posts
Posted 08/19/2010   08:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice.
I had the cover, not the book,
I'd very much like to get my hands on that one day,
should make a good read.

Valued Member
United Kingdom
39 Posts
Posted 01/18/2011   06:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add alexarne to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have an invitation to the 1955 exhibition and a De La Rue Christmas card which belonged to my Grandfather. I am new to this and will post pictures if anyone is interested. There is a boxed set of playing cards too with the labels on similar to Rod222s picture.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26826 Posts
Posted 01/18/2011   08:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Up goes my hand....

Interested :)

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1326 Posts
Posted 01/18/2011   08:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 22crows to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Guernsey issued another set of stamps, celebrating the birth bicentenary of Thomas de la Rue in 1993 (SG617-SG621)

http://www.indianstampghar.com/wp-c...scan0072.jpg
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05